Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #61 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

Yes, I have the cover. The sponge is a good idea too. Thanks for explaining the cycle thing. I will definitely try to aim for that once BeBe is better.

I may give the filter a little longer to clear up the water. If it doesn't, I will change it out. Should I do 100% or partial? It's really warm today, so I think he would be fine in the sun room until the new water heats up (we have a room with all windows that's probably in the 80's, so I can leave him there until his tank heats back up). I will add the Epsom Salt to the new water too.

Thanks again for your help!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #62 
Aqua Betta

He just ate 3 more pellets (mini ones - Betta Bio Gold). Now I really feel better!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #63 
Laki

Great news!!
A 50-60% change on the tank water will be fine for now, it will help the filter clean out what's left of the garlic.
I live in a wasteland so I don't often experience warm enough weather to turn off the heaters (only in the dead of summer), so as long as the thermometer in the water is still reading a warm temp (80F or so) then you can turn off the heater. Keep in mind, though, the tempuerature outside the tank will fall, taking the temp of the water down too. That's why heaters are essential, keeps the water steady.

He ate 3?? Good for him!! Yay! Can you see any poop in the cup??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #64 
MaisyDawgThirteen

This is great!!!

@ Laki, Newfoundland a wasteland. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #65 
Laki

lol weather wise yes!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #66 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

Thank you - he would never have come this far without your help and the help of the others. I am extremely grateful!

I will leave the heater on in his tank, but will have to take him out while I'm changing the water/until it heats back up, right? The room I was talking about (with all the windows) gets really hot because it has single pane windows and no obstruction to shadow it (it's right on the Bay). It will be in the 80's again today, so I thought it would be a good place to keep him until his tank heats back up - about 15-20 minutes. I've never changed his big tank, so I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

He actually ate 6 mini pellets. He didn't attack them like he used to, but gobbled them up around the rim of his cup. He really seemed to perk up too. Maybe it was finally eating after so long, but I think being able to get air from the surface so easily helped too. Thanks again for the idea of floating his cup! There was no poop when I left yesterday - I was worried about it sitting in his cup overnight if he did poop. I will check and clean it out first thing when I get to work this morning.

Have a great day. I'll keep you posted on how he's doing. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #67 
Aqua Betta

MaisyDawgThirteen,

Thanks for the encouragement and also for your help with BeBe. I'm so glad he is doing better - thanks again! Have a great day.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #68 
Aqua Betta

The boy's doing great! He was floating in his cup and was fine when I came in (no poop, so I'm glad he didn't have that in his small cup overnight). He ate straightaway - 5 mini pellets. Temperature is holding steady around 79-80. The water looks much clearer today. Should I still attempt to change it? I'm going to bring it to Petco to have it tested before I release him into it to see how he does. If he still stays on the bottom, do you have any suggestions? Thanks again for all of your help - you saved my littlte BeBe!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #69 
Laki

I'm glad he's perked up :)
We need poop Bebe!! lol To clean the 3g just fill a bucket/bowl with the old water, make the tap the same temperature and then treat it with conditioner. If you're using previously unheated water from bottles (which I think I recall you mentioning) then yes, remove his floating cup until that water is warmed by the heater.
One important thing, unplug the heater and wait 10-15 minutes before removing water. This gives the heater a chance to cool down a bit and won't short out, therefore prolonging its life.
You can, when mixing/conditioning water, mix up more epsom salt (1tsp per gallon) and if he is swimming you can let him out of the cup. Give him some plant or decoration close to the surface he can rest on if he needs to get to the surface. If he's still laying around the bottom, then put him back in the cup.
My VT Ludendorff took about a month to get better from general lethargy and fin melt when I first got him. So never give up hope. I'm glad Bebe is at least eating, he'll begin swimming again now with the new energy. Try to refrain from feeding more than 4 pellets per feeding though!

eta- OH you have mini pellets. Okay, nvm. 5 is fine!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #70 
Sakura8

I'm really glad to hear he's doing so much better, AquaBetta. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote