Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #71 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

He pooped this morning after I got in - nice and orange! I'm glad he waited until I got here, so he didn't have it in his cup overnight.

The water tested fine - they said the pH was 7.0, and everything was in the safe level, including amonia at .5 (not zero unfortunately). The only thing was the water was "hard," but he said that could have been from the Epsom Salt.

I just let him out of his cup, and he's swimming like a champ at the top of the tank! I have to leave early today to attend a memorial, so I wanted to check him out for awhile before I leave (in case I have to put him back in the cup) - so far, so good. Since the water checked out OK, I may hold off on changing it today. How often should I change it anyway? I'm so glad I didn't give up on him - thanks so much for your encouragement and for contacting Sakura8 for me on Sunday!

P.S. He's still at the top!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #72 
Aqua Betta

Sakura8,

Thank you so much for your help on Sunday! I'm convinced that without you and Laki (as well as a few others), BeBe would not have made it. I simply did not have the knowledge necessary to help him out, and you really stepped up to help - thank you! You have encouraged me to learn more about these beautiful little fish, so I can keep him with me a long time. Thank you so much!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #73 
Aqua Betta

Oh, one more thing, the tank cleared up a lot overnight. It's not cloudy like it was yesterday.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #74 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Laki has given you a lot of great practical advice. If you need anything else, I'm within easy shipping distance too. :)

Regarding your ammonia at .5ppm. Are you still using bottled water or is this tap water? If it is tap water, then it is possible the water has ammonia already in it. This is pretty common for CA water, it seems. If it's bottled water, then the ammonia is probably from BeBe now that he's eating and pooping again. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but you can use Seachem Prime for a water conditioner and it will neutralize ammonia and turn it into a less toxic form. Might be handy for when you have to leave him over the weekends. Plus, it's economical. It's highly concentrated so a little goes a long way. 2 drops per gallon.

Your pH is perfect, right at basic or neutral. You don't need to do a thing about it. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #75 
Laki

Aw I was thinking about Bebe in my class tonight! (priorities, right?) I'm so glad he perked up and is in his tank doing great. :)
When you get a chance I would love to see pictures! (you could open a new thread in the picture section and more people might come along and look at him too!)
I'm glad to help. I like helping others, I'm SUPER glad Bebe didn't have something critically wrong bc that would have been terrible. It happens all the time based on bad breeding/housing practices among stores but. Yes, your little betta gift certainly has turned around and dug a hole in your pocket but in your heart as well. There's something about that first betta which gets us in the hobby that's just special. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #76 
Aqua Betta

Sakura8,

Thanks for your reply. When I set up his new tank on Saturday, I used bottled purified water/spring water (2 1/2 gallons - about half and half) because the building where I work has really old pipes (it's about 100 years old, and you can sometimes see a rusty color, especially with hot water - I never use it, bring my own from home). I saved the gallon jugs, so I will bring water from home that's filtered to remove chlorine.

I will look for the Seachem Prime - where do you get it? We probably have the same stores, since we live so close. (Oh, and I will definitely keep the easy shipping in mind, lol.)

Well, I better get going off to work and to my little BeBe. Thanks again for your help and have a great day!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #77 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

You are awesome! Thinking about BeBe in class shows your compassion and caring about animals - you should consider being a Vet!

I will work on posting some pictures of BeBe. I can't seem to get a good shot because of the reflection thing (I have to figure out how to shut off the automatic flash).

My friend, the "fish guy," at work helped me set up BeBe's new tank with two silk plants and some pretty rocks (that's also why I wanted to make sure the water was safe before I released him yesterday) - it looks really nice and I hope he likes his new home. I can't wait to see him this morning to see how he did last night.

Thanks again for all of your help. I will keep you posted on BeBe.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #78 
Laki

Haha I think about betta fish more than my Newfoundland folklore/society class! lol
I don't have the science brains for veterinary medicine. And I don't have the stomach for surgery or euthanasia. Thanks though! lol
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #79 
Aqua Betta

LOL Laki. I hear you about being a Vet - I feel the same way, but you also get to help a lot of animals too. BeBe is swimming along at the top - he ate 5 mini pellets today too. Things are looking up!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #80 
Laki

Major Yay!