Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #81 
Aqua Betta

Thanks Laki. He does sit at the bottom every once and awhile - maybe to rest? He jaunts right back to the top though.

Should I get him a live plant? I looked at a couple of silk ones that were taller the other day (he loved the first one I had in the small tank - he laid on the leaves to rest, especially when he didn't feel well). Maybe the taller one would allow him to stay close to the top without having to swim (that must be exhausting - even for a fish!).

Have a great day - it's Friday!
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #82 
Aqua Betta

Oh, one more thing. The "fish guy" noticed a little greasy-like residue above the water line on the tank. Nothing heavy, but you could see it was greasy because it smeared when you wipe it with your finger. Do you think it could be from the garlic? Just wondering if you ever experienced it before. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #83 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have noticed this in my tanks too. I think it is just from the condensation? Not sure.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #84 
sunlight

hey guys i was trying to read all 9 pages briefly . I don't know if anyone mentioned to use gravel vacuum. I think you are using a filter and will try to cycle? If you want to use filter you will need to vacuum gravel regularly and you also need to swish/rinse filter media regularly in the old water WITH a water change. I don't cycle my tanks so i am not sure about all instructions on that, but Laki and Sakura can give you right advice.

There is two ways you can change the water so another way- If you don't want to use filter ,you can just do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a weekly. Then you don't need to vacuum the gravel and you don't need filter
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #85 
MaisyDawgThirteen

* You should definately gravel vac no matter what. A filter doesn't clean out the gravel. Water only changes can only do so much.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #86 
Aqua Betta

Thanks MaisyDawgThirteen. I'm glad the residue isn't anything to worry about. What kind of gravel vac would be good? I only have a very thin layer of gravel on the bottom of his 3 gallon tank. The "fish guy" set it up so the gravel was right up against the filter intake - he said it would cause some kind of air flow between the bottom of the tank and the gravel (or something like that). As you can tell, I don't know much about aquariums, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #87 
Aqua Betta

Oh, and I did a partial water change because I had his water tested today and they said it was "very hard," possibly due to the Epsom Salt. Results: NO3 - Zero, NO2 - Zero, GH - 300 ppm, Chlorine - Zero, pH 6.3, Ammonia - .5
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #88 
Laki

The film might be from the food, harmless. It can be removed with a paper towel pretty easily. It's caused by the protein of their food, if it's greasy I would say it's definitely the garlic residue.
The filter won't suck poop and bacteria from all the gravel, only where the intake tube is will it be any help. I don't have a vacuum (I bet any 10$ or less one is fine) I use a turkey baster. It takes forever but I like it because I have more control (in case something/someone gets sucked into it)

epsom salt is still okay to use until he's 100%
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #89 
Aqua Betta

Sunlight,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have his tank to the point of getting it to cycle yet. Tomorrow will be one week since I transferred him into it from his small .5 gallon tank. I've rinsed his filter a couple of times because it seemed like it was bubbling (air bubbles?) - after I rinsed, it stopped. Yes, I will definitely need more instructions on how to clean the gravel/tank/water. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #90 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

Thank you, I kind of figured the garlic was causing the film. I wiped it off again today, but it seemed less than yesterday. Good to know about the turkey baster - I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help.