Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #1 
Underthesea10

Equipment needed to properly set up a 2.5 gallon tank?

Hello,
I and my husband each have a betta. The boys are enjoying a quiet life in their heated 1.5 gallon bowls but I would love to upgrade their homes.
can you cycle a 2.5 gallon tank?
What else might I need to create a warm and welcoming environment for a male betta?
How many water changes will need to be performed in each tank and what percentage?
I have been using a pinch of AQ salt per water change and a suppliment that helps sooth the water for betta's, is this right? Will I need to purchase a filter?
Underthesea10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Do they have seperate tanks or do they share a tank? If they share a tank you should never keep two betta's together in anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank otherwise ammonia builds up too fast and can kill them, melt their fins, and weaken their immune system opening them up to catching ick, it can also cause fin rot.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
Underthesea10

Oh no, they each have their own home and will have their own homes in the future. Im personally not a huge fan of divided tanks. They are however side by side and get a few minutes a day of flare time before I restrict their view. They also do have covers but I may look into lights later on down the road if they are available for 2.5 gallon tanks and safe to use :)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

What kind of setup are you wanting to do...? planted? non planted? natural planted? filter?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #5 
Underthesea10

I'm not entirely sure lol. Right now in their bowls they have a heater and a small rock, its rather boring imo, but i've never set up an actual tank before so any advice would be wonderful :) What might you suggest? I should add, I did have a couple of live plants at one time but they kept growing white fuzz, im not sure what was wrong with them? I ended up tossing them after a while. Maybe it was lack of light?

Last edited by Underthesea10; 10-13-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #6 
lauraannq

go plants... i can not even begin to explain to you how much easier it is... we have a 1 gal bowl 1 week (testing water) with a plant (a big one) and no ammonia or and 100% stable no water change (i did take just the bottom 'ick' out) from the pet store bag but put the water that came with it back.
lauraannq is offline   Reply With Quote