Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #11 
candyman995

My betta did this from time to time and got more frequent as well. Mostly he now just floats around doing nothing near the surface then darts off to hide again. I thought i was normal.

He stopped after i did a water change on his tank and am upgrading him to a 10g tank this week as well.

If it isnt normal im now concerned cause it looks bizzare when he does the twitch. Didn't notice any colour change for mine but will look closer when im home.

Has yours had any change thats more noticable dbrooke1?
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #12 
sainthogan

I watched the video. It kind of reminds me of when a person is falling asleep and their body jerks and twitches. My husband does this when he's falling asleep at night (annoys the crap out of me). There is a name for it in people, but I can't remember what it's called. I wonder if this is what's going on, maybe your fish is falling asleep and starts twitching and then wakes back up. No clue really, just a theory.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #13 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman995 View Post
My betta did this from time to time and got more frequent as well. Mostly he now just floats around doing nothing near the surface then darts off to hide again. I thought i was normal.

He stopped after i did a water change on his tank and am upgrading him to a 10g tank this week as well.

If it isnt normal im now concerned cause it looks bizzare when he does the twitch. Didn't notice any colour change for mine but will look closer when im home.

Has yours had any change thats more noticable dbrooke1?
candyman995,
i'm not sure if its normal or not. =) yes, the twitching looks abnormal to me too. the only other appearance change my fish had is a slightly faded color. he doesn't look as beautiful in terms of his color. thats it. :/
it's interesting your fish stopped twitching after a water change. has it stopped completely since then? after a water change, mine still did it. hmm...
anyway, i'm sure your little friend will enjoy their ten gallon tank!
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #14 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I watched the video. It kind of reminds me of when a person is falling asleep and their body jerks and twitches. My husband does this when he's falling asleep at night (annoys the crap out of me). There is a name for it in people, but I can't remember what it's called. I wonder if this is what's going on, maybe your fish is falling asleep and starts twitching and then wakes back up. No clue really, just a theory.
sainthogan, he twitches even when he's full on swimming around only when i come near his tank or occasionally when he sees his reflection in the glass. he'll be swimming around, twitch so much that his body like spasms or he totally jerks to the side or off coarse and then stops swimming for half a second before going again. unsure if he was born with it or what may be the cause. curious! =)
right now in terms of his color and his activity, watching his diet, try and change the location of his tank, and add a second plant? i used to feed him two pellets a day. although when i fed him a second pellet in one day, i watched his tummy and it seemed it would slightly bloat. so just started feeding fish one pellet per day, while offering them two pellets seperately once every few days. also, once a few days i feed a bloodworm or brine shrimp to substitute a pellet.
also maybe move his tank to a warmer part of the room where cold air through the window does not reach as much......
as of the twitching, have no clue, lol! i'm praying it's harmless, lol!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

I have seen the twitching before but only in sick fish. In fact, I just had one with a case 0f the twitchies. He also had something that was eating away his fins. He was also very lethargic. He then started hiding behind the filter all the time. Sometimes he would be on the bottom of the tank in a position that looked like his tail fin was holding him up. I did a round of treatment with Furan 2 and he is now 100% normal.

I don't know for certain WHAT his issue was but I suspect columnaris or something similar to it.

His really did look like he was twitching. He would swim a little and then in the middle he would do a quick twitch - as if he had a neurological issue.

Have you noticed any changes like detoriating fins or fuzz on their body?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-26-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #16 
dbrooke1

thank you for your response. it's great to know this needs to be treated. glad to know your fish is 100% well. =)
the twitching you described is exactly the same thing my fish does. although, his tail and fins look normal to me and i don't see anything that looks like fuzz on his body.
going to do a 100% water change for him right now.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #17 
sunlight

Don't cross- contaminate any equipment with other fish in case it something contagious. Did you share anything between them?

Not sure what the issue is but certainly i think something is wrong since it also started presently, so he didn't have it before. I was thinking if it can be ich. With ich fish would darts or twitch, rub against rocks/gravel/tank ,have white spots,patches on the body or if you shine the light on him if he and see if he is covered with a fine gold or rust mist .
If it would be columnaris fungal infections he would have white fuzzy cottony like patches.
Did you quarantine that plant in his tank? Sometimes plant can carry parasites .
If it ich you can treat it with aquarium salt and you will need to raise the temperature up to 86*. Raising temperature will help to speed up parasites life cycle and some said can kill them.
I would recommend to do 2tsp/gall of aquarium salt with daily 100% water changes. Take plant out and put it in the vase for 2 weeks with NO water conditioner it will kill any parasites on it.
Would you able to do salt treatment? It really easier if you put fish in the smaller container but i am not sure how you can maintain the temperature in it, unless you can heat his tank up and let him float in his container that you bought him in.
Unless you want to try to use Furan-2 like Tikibirds did. I think Furan is very good medications but for fungal infection. But again with fungus he would have white fuzzy patches on his body.

Last edited by sunlight; 10-26-2012 at 03:43 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #18 
sunlight

Also one more thing i forget is he bloated? Check his poo make sure it not white,clear stringy wormy like shape. I would think that if betta has internal parasite it also can have those symptoms. But usually betta with internal parasites also would be bloated
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #19 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Don't cross- contaminate any equipment with other fish in case it something contagious. Did you share anything between them?

Not sure what the issue is but certainly i think something is wrong since it also started presently, so he didn't have it before. I was thinking if it can be ich. With ich fish would darts or twitch, rub against rocks/gravel/tank ,have white spots,patches on the body or if you shine the light on him if he and see if he is covered with a fine gold or rust mist .
If it would be columnaris fungal infections he would have white fuzzy cottony like patches.
Did you quarantine that plant in his tank? Sometimes plant can carry parasites .
If it ich you can treat it with aquarium salt and you will need to raise the temperature up to 86*. Raising temperature will help to speed up parasites life cycle and some said can kill them.
I would recommend to do 2tsp/gall of aquarium salt with daily 100% water changes. Take plant out and put it in the vase for 2 weeks with NO water conditioner it will kill any parasites on it.
Would you able to do salt treatment? It really easier if you put fish in the smaller container but i am not sure how you can maintain the temperature in it, unless you can heat his tank up and let him float in his container that you bought him in.
Unless you want to try to use Furan-2 like Tikibirds did. I think Furan is very good medications but for fungal infection. But again with fungus he would have white fuzzy patches on his body.
hmmm... okay. there are definately no white fuzzy patches on his body. i don't have a flashlight but i shined a tiny key ring holder that shines light on him and also don't see anything that looks like dust was sprinkled on his body. wish i had a really good camera other than my cell phone though. i do notice a reddish color on his upper lip, his head, and the sides of his body. the coloration looks like a part of his skin, perhaps similar to a rash or something (realize fish don't have rashes, lol).
yes, i use the same net for my two fish and the same glass bowl for water changes. the other fish seems okay. just in case, will use the second fish net i have for the other and a different container.
took out the plant and seperated it with no water conditioner for the plant.
i used aqsalt when i changed his water today. after his change he stopped twitching. then after several minute he starts twitching agan, though not as much as he did before the water change.
would a 2.5 gallon be okay to do a treatment with aq salt or is it best to do a smaller container?
my heater i have is a preset 10w heater from marina. if the water gets below 78 degrees it turns on, and once the water is atleast 78 degrees it shuts off.
i looked for adjusable heaters at petco and petsmart, but they looked like they were too big for a 2.5 gallon?
will try your recommended dosage of aqsalt treatment and have a sample of his water tested at the store!
appreciate it!!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #20 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Also one more thing i forget is he bloated? Check his poo make sure it not white,clear stringy wormy like shape. I would think that if betta has internal parasite it also can have those symptoms. But usually betta with internal parasites also would be bloated
today his poop was mostly round and brown. =) he is slightly bloated. it's because i accidently overfed him. i used to feed him two omega one pellets twice a day (4 total) and noticed him beginning to bloat. i brought it down to two pellets a day, but now feed him one a day, with one frozen bloodworm or brineshrimp treat as a second meal every few days. i think the bloating was due to overfeeding for him!!