Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #21 
dbrooke1

oh, noticed you mentioned poo could be clear. didn't catch it first time i read it, sunlight. :) today his poo was mostly round, bown and the very, very edge of his poo may have been clear. it was difficult to tell?
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #22 
sunlight

there is a slite chance to get internal parasites with frozen blood worms though.So don't feed it on regular basis. 2 pellets a day and brine shrimp should not get him bloated. Did you mean frozen from blood worms from the freezer or it the one in the box freeze dried? I would stop giving him frozen bloow worms keep him on 2 pellets and brine shrimp. If you can soak pellets in the garlic juice it also helps with parasites.
I really need to be sure before make decision if his poo was clear at the edge it can be internal parasites and it need to be treated asap with epsom salt and medications. If you can check and make sure if it really clear at the edges then it is possibilities that he has it. And it better to treat while he is eating. They pass worms with poo. Epsom salt will help purge them out. But epsom salt will not treat it, you need medications.
I am worry though i am not sure how it contiguous since you was using the same net and container. I hope your other guy will not get anything. Watch him. Change his water when you can do not use the same equipment. I don't share anything between my fish even though them not sick, there is always change you know. Do not use frozen blood worms . I would try to soak pellets in the garlic juice even for your other fish see if he likes it, it good to prevent parasites.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

Seachem Paraguard, Hikari HealthAid PraziPro, and API General Cure are all very good to use for external parasites but only API General Cure is readily available at Petsmart. The others usually can be found at small indepedent fish stores. When dealing with external parasites, meds with praziquantel, malachite green, methlyene blue, or acriflavine are helpful. For that matter, even Hikari Betta Revive can be very effective for external parasites

All 3 meds can be used for internal or external parasites, although they will be more effective for external. To specifically treat internal parasites, a medicine with metronidazole is best. Hikari HealthAid Metro+ and Seachem Metro both work.
If you can find Jungle Fizz which should help with internal and ext parasites. API meds good for internal parasites actually.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

I just pm Sakura about your post. And this was her response to me. So if you can get those medications that she recommended it should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8
It's possible for them to have both internal and external parasites. In other words, they could have invisible flukes on the outside and tapeworms on the inside. API General Cure would take care of both. Internal parasites can be contagious yes, but it's more likely that the second fish will get them if he is under a lot of stress and his immune system is compromised.

If he eats frozen bloodworms every day, he could be having a buildup of fat in his system. The clear edges in his poo could be from parasitse, undigested worms, or fat deposits. It's hard to say. I had one fish that only ate frozen bloodworms every day of his life (over a year) but on the other hand, when I fed only bloodworms to my sorority, two girls developed fatty tumors.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

a few more advices. If you can find API General Cure which will take care both internal and ext parasites. I would use it along with epsom salt and if you can raise the temperature this way it will help with internal and external parasites.

With temp over 85-86* will speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster and some said can even kill them.

Epsom salt will help to purge internal parasites out.

And the reason why i also think that he has something because of the new symptoms onset.

Do you know how to use salt? Pre mix 2tsp/gall make sure it dissolve change 100% daily along with meds. Redose meds each time.
Garlic juice will help i agree.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #26 
dbrooke1

thank you anhel for your help and for passing it along to sakura8!! woke up this morning and his coloration has changed more. i'm pretty sure he lost weight or emaciated? he doesn't realy look healthy at all. :(
other fish fantasia looks pretty and well but will change his water just in case after sending this. andy is in a 2.5 gallon tank right now and did a full water change with a quarter of an api genural cure packet and 5 teaspoons of epsom salt. i went to the nearest grocery store to get garlic juice. assuming pure garlic juice would be best? didn't look at the ingedients before buying it. after arriving home, saw it contains garlic juice, vinegar, salt. :/ what do you think? is it safe to feed the fish? i tried feeding it to both andy and fantasia. with the juice, the pellet sinks. andy (sick fish )chased after it, touched it with his mouth, and wouldn't eat it. he swam away. he ate a regular pellet like normal this morning.
is there a good way to try and feed him the pellet with juice? the only thing i can think of is to put him in a net and try to feed him the pellet with my finger. it may stress him out more though, so... or let the pellet sit in the juice, then rub it in brine shrimp to simply get the smell or something and perhaps try it. trying to pull out ideas.
concerning the api general cure and salt from this morning, andy's apearance and behavior seems exactly the same. may have to watchand give him a few days?
would it make a difference if he was in a 1 gallon bowl with treatment or it wouldn't make a difference versus his 2.5gallon? when changing his water looked and didn't see any poo.
the heat! would raising the tempurature kill off the parasites and yet let them come back stronger later on? hmm..
here's two pictures (not very clear) of andy from this morning!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #27 
dbrooke1

here is andy right now.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #28 
dbrooke1

here is andy right now.
fantasia ate the garlicy pellet. but andy... i'll keep trying.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #29 
dbrooke1

have ziegler medicated flake tropical fish food for ornamental fish only, but it doesn't say specifically for bettas. would it be bad to give it to him, or would it also be too much since api general cure is also in his water?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

Sorry i forget to tell you about garlic juice. I would just take fresh garlic,squeeze it (use garlic press)and then just put a pellet in it. I would not use that juice that you bough with vinegar and salt. I was thinking to write it and forget. Try that, but i don't think it good idea to put him in a net and try to feed him. He is stress enough we don't want to stress him more. It good that he is eating because he needs nutrition to support his immune system which is easier to fight the disease. You can continue to feed them with verities of the food including pellets, blood worms,brine shrimps, you can even give them little tiny pieces of the cooked shrimp.
The answer about if blood worms can carry parasites was negative. Some people saying that it can carry it, some not. But the answer :
Generally, with the frozen and/or processed foods are sterilized and should be free of any parasitic issues/causes to our fish, however, the freezing itself can sometimes cause the cells to burst-making the food void of nutrients-the poor nutrition can often be the cause of health issues-especially when it is the only food being fed. This is why a varied diet is best-this way you can ensure that the fish get the needed nutrition that support them and the immune response.
It really doesn't matter where you will have Andy in 1 gall or 2.5 gall. I am not sure how you can keep the temperature up. I am thinking it would be easier for you even to put him in his container that you bought him from the store and put it in a heated 2.5 gall tank. Do daily water changes even with medications and redose it every time. But take time to acclimate him. Just put new water in his changing cup and let him stay in it for a few minutes and do it for a few times.

The heat you ask is only for external parasites. Since fish can have internal and external, and the symptoms that andy show might be that he has both of them. That is why i recommending raise the temp. Since medications will help with ext and internal parasites, heat will help with ext parasites. Heat speed up parasites life cycle and help it to fall so you can remove it manually.

ziegler medicated flake tropical fish food good that you have it. It anti-parasites? It fine you can try to feed him.
And try to check his poo again.
And it good that fantasia eating pellets soak in the garlic. It will work as a preventative and also support immune system. Just use fresh squeezed garlic. I know it kind time consuming to do it but i would use garlic pellets for long time (6-8 weeks ) May be you don't have to use it every day

I really hope that he didn't give it to fantasia though. This is my fear. Because if he has ext parasites and if you use the same net it can go to fantasia. But lets don't panic. Just observe fantasia. If you will see any changes in behavior then we will think what to do. If you want you can increase the temp in fantasia tank and try to do water changes daily for about 5 days. Or if you want just observe make sure there is not changes.
Did you take everything out of the andy tank? I would take out everything and just wash it in the hot water and just leave it to dry out for a few days it will kill all parasites. COMPLETELY DRY OUT. When you change fantasia you can do the same even with gravel. It ok if they will be with out it for short period of time don't worry about that.
Do you have live plants?