Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #31 
dbrooke1

great, thank you so much. will do everything as adviced. appreciate it. andy's heater is actually not adjustable. it turns on when the water hits below 78 degrees. :/
the zieglar medicated food... somebody gave them to me a while back, and have no clue what they're specifically for. this helps, huh?
yes, i have live plants. i took the ones in andy's tank out and put them in seperate water with no conditioner. early in the morning, will change water in both tanks and take out everything except for the heaters and thermometers....
oh oh, yes! fantaia is in a 5.5 gallon tank but i have a 3 gallon tank thats empty. andy was living in it until i changed him this morning to a slightly smaller tank. would the empty tank need to be disinfected? hmm....
going to the store!
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #32 
ANHEL123

Thermometers when you change the tanks just wash them with hot water and let it sit to dry out while you do water changes. Do you have live plant in fantasia tank? I would also take it out and quarantine them.
Well before you feed with that flakes check the expiration date and if it not anti parasitic i don't think you need to use them though.
3 gall just wash with hot water and let it sit for a few days to dry out. Only one thing easy with parasites -disinfection. Just wash with hot water let it sit for a few days to dry out. Parasites will die without host.
If you want just to make sure and prevent fantasia from getting anything you can also still have her in the floating cup in her 5.5 gall and do daily water changes it can help to prevent external parasites but not internal. Or if you want just watch her and make sure she don't have it, feed with garlic. One thing i am not sure how long usually will take to symptoms onset.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #33 
dbrooke1

okay, got it! yes, fantasia has live plants in his tank. will take those out too. i'll change fantasia's tank daily too just in case!! great, alright
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #34 
Tikibirds

Jungle has a medicated parasite fish food but I haven't seen it for sale lately. Plus bettas don't seem to care for it much.

If anti parasite fish food is what your after, you can try making your own with betta food if he won't eat those flakes you have.

Quote:
General Cure can be used as a medicated fish food soak by using 1/2 a packet for an average 60 gallon bio load medicated fish preparation. Fish food should be soaked for 15 minutes
After soak, pour entire contents into aquarium.
(Additional medication can be added for a full tank treatment; for example with a 30 galloin aquarium, use 1/2 packet in the food soak and use the other half plus two more packets in the aquarium.)
I did something similar last year but with jungle anti parasite fizz tabs since I was in Alaska with no stores that had any real fish meds. Basically all I did was take the fizz tab. break it into 1/4 the size, fill up one of those cups bettas come in and added the tab. When it was disolved, I added in pellets for several minutes. Getting them OUT again was a bit tricky though. A syringe, eyedropper or turkey baster helps. I then gave him some pellets and let the rest dry out to use at the next feeding. it was a massive PITA but it worked

Quote:
today his poo was mostly round, bown and the very, very edge of his poo may have been clear. it was difficult to tell?
It should look like a brown cinnamon bun.

Quote:
i do notice a reddish color on his upper lip, his head, and the sides of his body. the coloration looks like a part of his skin, perhaps similar to a rash or something (realize fish don't have rashes, lol).
It may be his coloring. Lighter colored bettas sometimes have the rash look. I have a female with that look and finally decided it was natural.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #35 
dbrooke1

second day treating andy with epsom salt and general cure. regret that i threw the cups andy/fantasia lived in away. will have to keep them next time! his poop was roundish, a very round u shape (similar to like a croissant). i looked super closely several times at the color. brown, yet noticed a darkish white spot. i was afraid to see something like that. :( he's less active compared to yesterday. floats still at the surface now. a while back noticed a light coloration below his mouth, but only today i noticed his belly is a greenish color.
thank you very much. soaked pellets in api general cure for five mins. andy ate some of it and spit some of it out. had to clean the rest out. at least he ate some of it. he takes in a garlic pellet in his mouth, spits that out, and won't eat the garlic pellet at all. :/ he ate a frozen blood worm from the freezer pretty good. he's still eating.
fantasia is getting his water changed when i come back home tonight and almost everything will be taken out of his tank too. he's still acting and looking well...
Old 10-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #36 
dbrooke1

Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #37 
dbrooke1

below is a picture of the little guy in a small food storage container (never used) with holes poked in the lid. i actually bought an adjustable heater today. ooo, my wallet!!!
this heater is a 25 watt and its sitting in a 2.5 gallon tank with andy in the container- prime conditioner, a little bit of epsom salt and api medicine.
water was 80 degrees all day. with heater, it gradually went to 82. should i bump up temperature 2 degrees every twelve hours until it gets to desired temperature maybe?
it was a little harder to gently get andy in the net tonight compared to thi morning. hope this means he's getting stronger? hopefully? *praying like no other!!!*
Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #38 
dbrooke1

whoops, here's the pic of andy in the container. does this look okay?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Didn't see the picture
BRown poo is normal. Broiken up white, with some transparent parts here and there would be a better determination of internal parasites.
light coloration below his mouth is it like fuzzy,cottony patch or just coloration of the skin?
Somethimes belly can change the color because of the parasites in the stomach. Not sure why his belly change the color. If he indeed has internal parasites then it might be the reason

Not sure why he is less active. Raise the temp slowly up to 84*. Do you do daily water changes? And don't lower the dose of the epsom. And you just redosing the medications right?
It really good that he is eating. And it good that at least he takes pellets with garlick , even though he spit them out. I think that garlick juice will get inside.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #40 
dbrooke1

Attached Images