Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1 
fishRfriends

Unhappy Baby Betta not doing well at all :(

I bought a baby betta from Petco a week ago today and it is lifeless but breathing, he was a light blue and now he is gray and laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. I have searched the forums through and through for the past 4 days to see what could be wrong and came to the swim bladder conclusion. I have been starving him for 4 days and have not seen improvement besides when I did a partial 20% water change at lunch, he tried to pick himself up but did not succeed. I plan on trying the pea method as soon as I get off work but in the meantime was wondering if yall could help. So here are a little more details. I bought him and was given no special instructions, got him home and tried to feed him but the pellet was to big so I removed it and jumped online to see what to feed him. I got Daphnia and he wouldn't even notice it up there so I would remove it. I came home Monday night and that when I found him at the bottom. Removed him, placed him into the bowl he came in and started my search, was sure it was swim bladder but with him not improving and worsening I am really freaking out. I tested his water and the ammonia is in the caution area so I did a water change with store bought betta water and the level is the same. Should I worry? The paler he gets the more I notice the redness inside his gills? Is this normal? Please help me! I called the store and they want me to return him and I refuse to return him so they can flush him. There has to be something I can do.
fishRfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 
Hershey

Go get water conditioner. Betta water is useless, actually.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
Hershey

Also, try filling this out so more people can help.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 
meiperfectneina19

There is a form you can fill up at the emergency section that tells people a little more about the conditions you have it and helps them determine what the best action is. Did you try feeding him smaller pellets, frozen bloodworms, or anything else besides the daphnia?
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
sainthogan

I've heard that peas can do more damage to the intestines than it helps. I don't think that's a good option.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

DON'T FEED PEAS THESE ARE CARNIVOROUS FISH AND THAT WILL KILL HIM.

Also babies need to be in at least 2.5 gallon tanks with a temp of 84+, anything under that is too cold for a baby betta. Also you need to feed babies brine shrimp and you should NEVER stop feeding a baby that long, they need to eat every day three times a day to help them grow. I would say bump the tank temp to 85, do a small aquarium salt treatment as well. Chances are at this rate though the baby won't survive. They are very hard to keep alive unless you know what you are doing.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #7 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
They are very hard to keep alive unless you know what you are doing.
Makes me so mad & sad that most of those babies don't make it because people buy them as cutesy gifts. UGH!
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

A+ advice LadyVictorian just gave you and I so sorry I dont have anymore to add to it, so sorry the baby isnt doing well. The stores should not be selling these baby Bettas they need a lot of care and most people who are buying them do not realize what all that involves. I hope you can save him or her...Best Wishes !!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

I know from experience, I raised my little girl and every day was touch and go, constant checking water temp and peramiter and always trying to balance out what I fed her from the proper pellet blend to live and frozen food. It was stressful and a lot like having a human infant having to wake up at night to make sure she was okay and that her water was warm enough. It really makes me so angry to see those babies at petco because the sad fact is none of them will survive unless someone like myself takes them or someone who is a breeder and knows proper baby care and has the means. Even then...even if you KNOW how to care for them it's still 50/50 because they get so sick so easily and you can lose the battle and they die all the same. Every time I see those babies I want to take them all home but at the same time I don't want to buy them and support it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #10 
shi

Actually, peas don't do any serious damage to Bettas, as long as it's not the only food they eat. I've fed bettas and various other fish with peas (frozen from the market, boiled in water) for swim bladder, and it worked well.
I tried to Google "Why are peas bad for bettas"
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/peas-w....-3359417.html
and from OFL:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113783
shi is offline   Reply With Quote