Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #11 
southafrica1001

with the pellets he could be trying to soften them up, however if he is not eating them, then thats not the case. like some people said keep trying and if you can get a bigger tank. usually a sign of constipation is a swollen 'stomach' however you never know.
good luck and i hope major miner gets better :D
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #12 
ReMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater
Hi Lis,

First, I read on this forum that a fish can go a week or longer with out eating and usually be just fine, means there is still time to try to get this solved. I hope this will easy your worry a little bit.

Try crumbling some of his foods into smaller pieces, flakes,bloodworms, and try pre-soaking til soft all foods before feeding.

Do continue to try to find the freeze dried brine shrimp, call ahead to the stores to find who has it in stock.

Are any of the foods that you are feeding the same as what he was being fed at the store where you purchased him?

As suggested in a prior post, did you get the results of your tank water parameters= ammonia,PH, nitrites, nitrates.

Is there any possibility that he has now or could have had any thing lodged in his mouth or further back?

Is there any possibility that he might have gotten any thing in his mouth that might have injured his mouth even if he spit it right out?
Might explain the white stuff you at one point were seeing and his not eating. Injury that got infected.

Were there any pieces of gravel that were in his bowl that were small enough to fit in his mouth? What is the texture of this gravel.

Ref. constipation, you could try feeding him some small pieces of a pea, wont hurt him if hes not constipated. Thing is, he has to eat it for it to do any good. Take one frozen pea, completely thaw, remove and discard outer skin, only feed in side portion, pinch off small piece, squish between fingers,and feed either by placing in his bowl, between your fingers, or with a tooth pick carefully.

You could also do the following,I know I would, remove all the gravel from his bowl, and leave it out for a couple of days, watch for evidence of fish manure. If you should find some, it would rule out constipation, and indicate that he is getting some food in.

As was suggested in an earlier post, did you get the results of his bowl water parameters= ammonia,PH, <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A poisonous substance that is caused by the breaking down of poop and ammonia via the presence of beneficial bacteria.')">nitrite</span>, <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('It is considered as the final product of the nitrogen cycle. It is harmless when kept under 40 ppm however anything higher than that poses a health risk to the fish.')">nitrate</span>.

When you are able to deal with the frozen brine shrimp, also try frozen daphnia, the daphnia I feed is very very tiny. Very easy for them to get down.

And last but not least, try to PM bettababy.

Hang in there, and don't give up.
This is about the best bit of advice you could read.

I'm a bit baffled myself and was going to offer some of these remedies, but they're covered . I'll second this advice.

.... Try raising his temperature a bit (buy a cheap heater from wal-mart). This raises his immune system in case anything bacterial is going on. Not the most likely solution, but I tend to find bettas within 78-80 degrees F do much better overall.
ReMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #13 
ellessee

Stillwater, ReMz, Southafrica100, etc.

Thank you for all the advice and all the help. I did try several of the things and you'll all be pleased to know that Major Minor is eating again! I am so happy and so thrilled. He is also very happy, swimming about, wagging at me, and he's done a bubble nest too.

Right now I am just sighing a big sigh of relief over this because I think I couldn't handle if anything happened to him. It's all too soon. And I think we are still bonding nicely.

The only thing I haven't done so far is the PH testing. I'd been using the bottled spring water from Wal-Mart so I didn't think I needed to do that. Although everyone is assuring me I can go to tap water as long as I leave it out next to his acquarium for a few days before changing his water.

I just would like to get one more opinion if I can, do everyone not take their betta out the acquarium or where ever his/her home is and only clean out 75% or 90% of the water? Or do you take them out put them in a small container - drain and clean everything out and put him/her back into the newly cleaned home? I'm getting mixed answers on this and need some advice and/or opinions.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and maybe a long weekend as Monday is President's Day.

Lis.
ellessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #14 
SST

I'm glad Major Minor is doing better! Yippee!

I think you could clean his tank either way, whichever works for you and him. Doing it the partial way might mean doing it more often. Like 50 - 75% twice a week instead of 100% once a week. I'm not 100% sure though. Hopefully someone with more experience will wander through.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #15 
Stillwater

Hi Lis,

Thank You for letting us know how Major Minor is doing, was very happy to read your post. :D

All my Betta boys are in 10gal. tanks, so I can,t help much with what is best ref. water changes, remove, don't remove betta. But I think SST,s advice is good.

I can share some thing I do that might help,...when I do remove a betta from its tank, I prefer to use a clear plastic cup/container, rather than a net if possible. For me any way, I have found this to be less stressful on the fish, as long as its done gently, and might be less damage to fins.
If I'm wrong in this practice I hope some one will advise.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #16 
Stillwater

Hi Lis,

Thank You for letting us know how Major Minor is doing, was very happy to read your post. :D

All my Betta boys are in 10gal. tanks, so I can,t help much with what is best ref. water changes, remove, don't remove betta. But I think SST,s advice is good.

I can share some thing I do that might help,...when I do remove a betta from its tank, I prefer to use a clear plastic cup/container, rather than a net if possible. For me any way, I have found this to be less stressful on the fish, as long as its done gently, and might be less damage to fins.
If I'm wrong in this practice I hope some one will advise.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #17 
tenpaull

IME, I use something called a "betta scoop" It's similar to the conventional net only that instead of a mesh net, it utilizes a waterproof cloth. This way, the betta will be staying with water during the time you are cleaning/changing his water. Using a cup will suffice, only if done gently. Actually it uses the same principle but for easier use ;)

Re: water changes, it all depends on your tank size. Smaller tanks tend to need or even require 100% water changes. A half gallon tank will indeed require a complete water change within a week :) Remember to acclimatize him to his new clean water before pouring him in! Regardless if it's treated, aged water, you still have to take your time in pouring him back in:D

Hope this helps(?)

Best of luck! :D
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #18 
ellessee

Thank you! What great advice for changing water, etc. I will incorporate these into my notes on taking care of my little one.

Actually today is water change day as a matter of fact!

Have a great day!

Lis.
ellessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #19 
tenpaull

Maybe you could post a pic of your betta, what do you think? ;)
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #20 
Stillwater

Hi Tenpaull,

Where did you get the Betta scoop from? I have not seen one and this sounds like something I would like to have. I do have what is called a specimen container, but it doesn't sound like the same thing.

Should I have posted this under a new topic?