Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #21 
Hassled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
And he's a halfmoon double tail chocolate, his tail is fragile, more space means more strain on his slow moving body and more chance of him ripping up his tail trying to just move around. This is why he will always remain in a 5 gallon. His tail is far too large for him to comfortably make it around larger tanks. My female being more active and faster and can comfotably move around is etting the 10 gallon tank since she would make better use of it.
Sorry but I don't really think that makes sense. If you bought a bigger house, it doesn't mean you would break your legs walking around the new house.
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my Delta-tail in a 10 gallon. I am pretty sure ACFs are illegal in most of the United States. The logic used is wrong long fins in big tank does not equal ripped fins if there are enough decorations sharp objects=Ripped fins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #23 
Leopardfire

Quote:
And he's a halfmoon double tail chocolate, his tail is fragile, more space means more strain on his slow moving body and more chance of him ripping up his tail trying to just move around. This is why he will always remain in a 5 gallon. His tail is far too large for him to comfortably make it around larger tanks. My female being more active and faster and can comfotably move around is etting the 10 gallon tank since she would make better use of it.
I have a HM in a 10 gallon and his tail is getting very shredded. Do HMs do better in less space? I was going to give my female my 5 gallon, maybe she should go in the 10 like yours.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #24 
Alcemistnv

I always thought it was best to give the smaller finned fish less room only because they swim faster, and the longer ones get tired faster patrolling around the tank...?

I mean, I know that my plakat could easily feel comfortable in a BIG tank while my others prefer a smaller, but that's just mine.

As for other fish...I have an oto with one of my bettas. We're on day 2 and things are going well, ammonia is still very low. Going to invest in a full water tester kit to keep things on track.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #25 
Laki

I understand the heavy tail in the 5 g.. It makes sense to me, what she's saying is his tail is heavy so in a large tank he would seem to work harder swimming around it.
And I also understand the Bilbo thing better now, why not get another ADF (shop around for one not shipped with ACF) and then when the quarentine is over the two frogs can be buddies!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep my Long finned Betta in a 10 gallon he is a Delta tail and he has big fins. Decorations/fin nipping are what break fins. Betta fish are not that dumb they know to stop swimming when tired and if there is plenty of hiding spots they prefer bigger tanks with plenty of hiding spots..
Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #27 
Laki

Well the OP is not asking about that. I think she just wants our opinions on what to put in the 5.5 with Aquarius, the fish in question.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No fish.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #29 
Laki

Another betta would be fine once divided though.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Would not recomend it.