Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #31 
MyRainbowBettaFish

O my god he needs medication right away. PM (private message) OFL (old fish lady) right away as she is highly knowledgeable in these emergencies.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #32 
Luimeril

OFL doesn't medicate. Sakura8 is the person to go to for medications, if i'm not mistaking. poor guy. :I he really DOES need medication....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Hi there. The poor guy. I'm glad you were able to take him so he doesn't have to suffer there on a lousy Walmart shelf.

Looks like shedding slime coat and probably columnaris which mimics a fungus because of all that fuzzy stuff. The only true fungus we regularly encounter in our aquarium fish is saprolegnia and he definitely doesn't have that.

Most likely his real problem is internal. :( The med you want to get right away is API Furan-2 to treat the external columnaris (it's at Petsmart). If he hangs in there, the other med you'll need is Seachem Kanaplex which unfortunately usually has to be ordered online (try www.drsfostersmith.com). Kanaplex is absorbed through the gills and skin and will treat the internal infection, which Furan-2 won't. I'd also put him into 2-3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon to help keep fluids from building up in his system.

I will be honest because I don't want you to get your hopes up: his chances of survival are pretty low because of the way he's just laying there. :( But you are an absolute angel to try to save him and at the very least, he will get to spend the remainder of his life in clean, warm water with someone who cares about him.

Good luck with the little guy and keep me updated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #34 
kc0vbl

I sent a message. Looking for a group on FB that maybe can help. Not that you guys havent but I am an info junky and try to get any/all info I can get.
kc0vbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #35 
kc0vbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi there. The poor guy. I'm glad you were able to take him so he doesn't have to suffer there on a lousy Walmart shelf.

Looks like shedding slime coat and probably columnaris which mimics a fungus because of all that fuzzy stuff. The only true fungus we regularly encounter in our aquarium fish is saprolegnia and he definitely doesn't have that.

Most likely his real problem is internal. :( The med you want to get right away is API Furan-2 to treat the external columnaris (it's at Petsmart). If he hangs in there, the other med you'll need is Seachem Kanaplex which unfortunately usually has to be ordered online (try www.drsfostersmith.com). Kanaplex is absorbed through the gills and skin and will treat the internal infection, which Furan-2 won't. I'd also put him into 2-3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon to help keep fluids from building up in his system.

I will be honest because I don't want you to get your hopes up: his chances of survival are pretty low because of the way he's just laying there. :( But you are an absolute angel to try to save him and at the very least, he will get to spend the remainder of his life in clean, warm water with someone who cares about him.

Good luck with the little guy and keep me updated.
Thank you so much for your reply. I wont be able to get him medications until tomorrow. Should I just change the water thats in there with the fungal stuff? I take it without the meds, he is pretty much a goner. I appreciate you being straightforward with that. With the meds it doesnt look good either. I will certainly try though!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #36 
Sakura8

The stuff he's shedding is probably excess slime coat. When a fish gets sick, his slime coat is his first defense against infection so he goes into overtime producing it. It won't hurt him to be in water with it but if you want to change the water and it doesn't stress him out too much then that's fine too. Otherwise, if he looks like it'll stress him out, it's best to leave him.

Poor guy, such a pretty color too.

I'd say if he lasts the night without meds, his chances of pulling through go up. It'll mean he's got some fight in him still. He probably won't eat anything, will he? If he'll eat, that's even better. Try bloodworms if you have them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #37 
kc0vbl

I do not think he ate any of the blood worms, but if it is an internal infection I am not surprised. Poor little guy.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #38 
kc0vbl

Well, I did try. Poor little guy was gone the next time I looked in on him :(
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #39 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave him the best days!

I admire you for attempting to treat the little guy, and again, i am sorry :(

S.I.P
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #40 
kc0vbl

Thank you all for your help. I only had him a few short hours. Better than dying in a plastic bowel on a shelf.