Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #1 
fish monger

Blue

Well, we purchased Blue, the ordinary male Siamese Fighting Fish yesterday. We had one of those all in one desk top 2 1/2 gallon tanks and couldn't stand to see it empty. According to the profile provided, I am being cruel to provide such a small environment. All I know is that I saved him from a life in a small sour cream container. He is active and has scarfed down every morsel of food offered. That being said, he is in a 2 1/2 gallon tank with a good amount of hornwort, the power filter provided with the tank (not strong), and one of those programed heaters set at 78. What should my water change schedule be ? There is no substrate. I thought this would be best.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

One or two 50 percent weekly. But saving it from a pet store is a bad justification people say the same thing about .5 gallons. A 2.5 is small but do able remembr tons of decorations.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 
fish monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
One or two 50 percent weekly. But saving it from a pet store is a bad justification people say the same thing about .5 gallons. A 2.5 is small but do able remembr tons of decorations.
You're right, it's no justification; however, he really does look happy and comfortable. I would never purchase a creature just to prove a point. So, lots of decorations are important ?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
You're right, it's no justification; however, he really does look happy and comfortable. I would never purchase a creature just to prove a point. So, lots of decorations are important ?
Not lots, but a few helps with keeping the fish feeling at home and secure.

When scared they can hide and recover, and also allows them to stray from boredom by exploring.

Also it makes your bowl more visual and gives it more places for the fish to rest and sleep.

As for the bowl.. you said it was 2,5 gallons right? It's fine, you know the thing is "the bigger the better" applies but there are plenty of people who had betta fish thrive in 2,5-2 gallon tanks/bowls.

So I don't see why the fish would be unhappy if cared for properly.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do think you will take great care of your fish 2.5 is a good enough for a Betta.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 
fish monger

Thanks for the advice. Blue is on my computer desk and has become a buddy already. I love the way he sneaks up on his food before pouncing. I have a good decoration in mind. It's one of those quasi natural looking things that has a very smooth surface and some fake plants sprouting from it. I also have some live hornwort in the tank to help with water quality. I didn't add substrate because I didn't think he'd be interested and it would be easier to remove waste during water changes. I'll send photos when I get this new camera figured out. Again, thanks for your input everybody.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

whats wrong with a 2.5? lol
mine's that size :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #8 
sainthogan

There's a really good link stickied to the top of this forum about water changes by old fish lady.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote