Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 
atteb

plakats

Hello all, I am going to post 3 pictures of 3 HMPK i have.

One is a HMPK Dumbo Ear but I am more interested in the color than the fins.

The female is a HMPK Platinum

The other one is a HMPK Dragon, in this picture he looks the same except for his fins have alot of red looking like a Red Dragon to me.

All 3 of these are from Thailand, I do not know their background so going with that if anyone could give me their best shot at what I "might" end up with in breeding that would be great.

If you could give me what I "could get" with the HMPK Dumbo x HMPK Plantinum

Then the HMPK Dragon x the HMPK Plantinum

Thank you..
Attached Images

atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your first guy looks like or is suppose to be a black dragon. But he has too much red on his fins.
Second guy looks salamander, but he might be copper (picture not too clear).
The girl is platinum - a metallic version of white.

I don't fully understand dragon genetics (I haven't experimented much with them). But in general, dragons are double metallic so you'd get better colors pairing the dragon to the platinum. You might get a rainbow of colors - platinum (probably multi or not clean solid color), cambodian like colors (both with and without metallic scales), coppers (multi), and some partial dragons (not sure what color), you might even get multi green/turquoise (from the black dragon).

I have too little experience with salamanders. My salamander x royal blue (from royal blue x blue dragon)= light blue dragon, dull green dragon, green (non dragon), cambodian like colors with a lot of irids (we call them maskot), blue multi variations. (last 2 colors are dominant)

Keep in mind your results depend on their genetic background.

Last edited by indjo; 10-14-2012 at 11:36 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 
atteb

Thank you indjo for the reply. This helps me out alot. I know its hard to tell when you dont' know the background of them.

Its funny you say the first male looks like a black dragon. That is what he was sold to me as a black/white dragon. He holds alot of black on the edge of his tail and also in the tail too. Quite a bit of black also in the fins but there is the red also.

I think I will pair these two up and see what I end up with over all.

One other question for you, if you pair a hmpk to a crowntail what types of tails will one end up with?

Thanks for the reply once again I really appreciate it very much...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Any non CT x CT = a variety of unequal web reduction (messy) in the first generation. Not sure about PK but long finned crosses could look very unattractive.

PK(short finned) x CT (long finned) = probability: you'd have both long and short finned, and some too short to be HM or too long to be PK I call them "in between". Most should be long finned because theoretically long fins are dominant over short. And web reduction varies between fish some more and others less. You will also have no web reduction and/or combs.

You will have to take the desired formed siblings and inbreed until at least 3 - 4 generations. I always breed one or two generation more (after achieving the desired form) before I introduce new genes.

Always glad I could help.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 
atteb

Thank you once again indjo for your replies. Truly appreciated very much..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6 
Setsuna

Your dragon male have some reds so that might become dominant color (red dragon perhaps) the best thing for you is to test out the all white female and the dragon male im sure your gonna get some red dragons hmpk give it a go you'll never know if you dont try
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote