Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #51 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I find some of these suggestions to be sad. If I'm getting bullied on Facebook I should just suck it up, cancel the account, or change my online ID? I see those suggestions as suffering in silence, solitary confinement, or joining the witness protection. I may be misunderstanding your suggestion, but cancelling Facebook cuts the person off from much more than her bullies. Maybe she plays Cafe World and doesn't want her food to burn. Maybe she has relatives in other countries she likes to keep in the loop. Why should anyone stop using a social website legally because others are using it illegally? I say kick the bullies off Facebook so their victims can use it in peace.

But that really isn't the point of the Todd case. She didn't flash to get attention from her peers and fail. She was lured into a trap by a 32 year old man who was known for being a child preditor (and is still not convicted as a child preditor to my knowledge) when she was 13 years old. Todd flashed the webcam for him, was blackmailed to keep the pictures secret if she did what he said, didn't do what the man wanted (which was basically more of the same), and had her picture was spread all over the internet for not bending to his will. I've been busy since I read up on the case a few days ago, so I hope he actually was charged for his crimes against Todd since I last read an article about the case.

I don't know if that corrects anything you're wrong about or if you are wrong about anything to begin with. But I don't think Todd flashed to get attention in the sense of becoming more popular among her peers. I think she flashed because she was testing the boundries of a more adult monogamous relationship and trying to get more attention from that one person. In short, she was trying to be a good girlfriend and got it wrong like most of us do throughout our lives.

What a lot of people are calling a mistake I see as normal sexual exploration that was exploted by a child preditor.
I understand where you're coming from on the Facebook situation but honestly it's so sad that we've let this type of technology have the ability to take so much control over our lives.

As for the rest of what you said, I may have worded my response in a way that didn't accurately convey what I meant for it to. Actually, looking back, it is very poorly worded. I will do more research on the Amanda Todd case before giving my input.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #52 
Rosso1011

Alright. Watched the video so now I can clarify. I was referring more to the mistake she made when she slept with the guy she met, fully aware of the fact that he had a gf. It is possible that her first mistake may have haunted her forever but it is hard to feel for her knowing she would do something like that. Yes, it is a stupid mistake from a teenage girl who had already gone through a tough time, but she obviously didn't consider the repercussions of her actions considering what happened in the past. It seems almost like she was inviting trouble to her doorstep.

Does any of this information make it any less of a tragedy? I don't know. I know this post may offend a lot of people but this is how I feel and I hope that others will respect my opinion on this. I am not trying to offend anyone, just voicing an opinion.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #53 
xShainax

The guy could have said no. Nice victim blaming there
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #54 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The guy is just as responsible as she is. Even more actually. I can't believe his GF didn't dump him after that. Goes to show what kind of people these are, though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #55 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The guy is just as responsible as she is. Even more actually. I can't believe his GF didn't dump him after that. Goes to show what kind of people these are, though.

Olympia, didn't you know? Everything is a womens fault.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #56 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lol, yeah.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #57 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Lol, yeah.
Seriously, I hate when people blame women. If Amanda Todd was a guy, they would say, "At least he got some booty before he died."
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #58 
Rosso1011

Nice way of respecting opinions. For the record, I am a woman. I think some of what she did was stupid. The guy obviously manipulated her, I never denied that.

Read a few posts back as well. I stated that I thought more could have been done to prevent what happened and protect her from the aftermath.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #59 
deso

Rosso, I got your back. I am a woman as well and I think that most, if not all of her actions were Darwin Award-worthy. If Amanda Todd were a boy, I'd be just as contemptuous of his mistakes. Her gender means nothing to me in terms of the magnitude of her repeated errors. The fact that you even think to bring up that "everything is a woman's fault" offends me. To roughly quote Einstein, "the surest sign of insanity is repeating the same behaviour over and over again and expecting different results". The 32-year old man who was involved with her is very much responsible for her untimely death and should receive a heavy prison sentence, but if she were still alive now, she and her irresponsible parents would have been in need of some serious re-education as well.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #60 
xShainax

People blame women for a lot of things, I was saying it's hypocritical since if it was a man doing it, he would be hailed a hero. If you couldn't understand that, then you can't read that well. I wasn't insulting women.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.