Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #71 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Try telling that to the southern states. They have abstinence only courses and the highest teen pregnancy rates in the US, especially Mississippi.
I know, Shaina, I'm originally from the States. The statistics scare me.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #72 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I would never take BC, it can make you infertile later in life. O.o I'd rather rely on my self control. Though I guess we are overpopulated anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to take it so I can actually have kids. * have PCOS and BC helps me with the shrinking of cysts
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #73 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I know, Shaina, I'm originally from the States. The statistics scare me.
Horrible and depressing. -.-
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #74 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, this IS a sad situation. First of all I think that her posting videos of herself was a cry for attention. Second of all a person can block people on FB. I had to block someone I used to be friends with on here because she has a history of harrassing another person. People have a tendency to use FB to talk to their friends about others so they can laugh and make fun of people behind their backs. I've seen it firsthand in a group I was in. When I complained about it I got kicked out of the group. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #75 
Rosso1011

As many women as I have known that got pregnant around the age of 18, abstinence only tactics scare me. To each their own. If birth control can cause infertility, I will still gladly take my chances rather than risk getting pregnant by someone who won't stick around or may turn out to be a horrible person.

My view is it takes two to make a baby, so either you don't have sex or someone takes responsibility for the method of birth control. I know I'm off-topic right now but the subject was brought up and it would have been truly horrible if she had gotten pregnant by this male (never saw any mention of pregnancy in the news).
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #76 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
As many women as I have known that got pregnant around the age of 18, abstinence only tactics scare me. To each their own. If birth control can cause infertility, I will still gladly take my chances rather than risk getting pregnant by someone who won't stick around or may turn out to be a horrible person.

My view is it takes two to make a baby, so either you don't have sex or someone takes responsibility for the method of birth control. I know I'm off-topic right now but the subject was brought up and it would have been truly horrible if she had gotten pregnant by this male (never saw any mention of pregnancy in the news).
Bristol Palin is the poster child of abstinence only education.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #77 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I live in virginia and it is nice except weather I have attempted suicide before and live in pain and am deppressed try to be happy bettas help poor girls familay it is so sad.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #78 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I'm not saying that it's just a mistake on Todd's part, it's also clearly a case of sexual harassment and exploitation of an underage child. But are you really saying that if your life and mental health were at risk, you would continue playing whatever "Café World" is? Or like Todd, would you go the extra nine miles and continue to post YouTube videos of yourself? There's such a thing as email and SMS. Disconnecting from Facebook is not the end of the world, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were feeling threatened by anyone. What is so wrong with witness protection programmes if they keep a person safe? With proxies and IP masking, it's very difficult to catch the bullies online; they just re-appear a few days later under different usernames. I didn't even have a Facebook until less than a year ago when a friend created an account for me, and I rarely check the thing. I find it quite useless, in all honesty. Being an expat, I have a lot of people (family included) from various countries to keep in touch with, and I manage to do so using just my mobile phone and Skype. It's not that difficult, really. Facebook, with how many people use it, is now like a large metropolitan city - policing is wholly ineffective, and people are only arrested after committing a grievous crime.

Rosso1011, the agreement is mutual. Kids these days disgust me in their dependency on social networking like Facebook and Twitter...what happened to a good ol' drink in a bar or lounge with local friends, or chatting to your buddies and family on the telephone?

Apologies if I come off a bit rude, Snowy, but I feel quite strongly on this particular subject :/
Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy weekend.

Don't worry, I'm not offended. We are looking at the same thing from different angles. I also may be a bit younger than you (I'm 27) so maybe I'm more used to using Facebook and IMs like a local bar. What teens do online is the same thing you used to do in person with friends at a local hang out. Let's call that local hang out the "Malt Shop" and an alternative the "Soda Joint". Going on Skype to avoid bullies on Facebook is like going to the Soda Joint instead of the Malt Shop. All you friends will continue to go to the malt shop while you are sitting at a seat alone at the soda joint. Leaving Facebook will isolate you because few people will follow to Skype.

Also, your example of using Skype works if 1) Todd's friends and family also use Skype and 2) Todd's bullies never find her Skype number in order to harrass her there. Just as it is possible to be harrassed on Facebook it is also possible to be harassed through emails, Instant Messagers (I actually have myself invisible to someone who has my yahoo IM and won't go away), and Skype. Grant it, you can't hid your identity as well on Skype as you can on Facebook, but she could still recieve harrassing messages on Skype just as I was on Yahoo Messenger.

I also based my opinion on what was happening to her in real life as well as online. She was being bullied online as well as in school even after changing schools multiple times. Should she have stopped going to school after she was recognized a second time? Should she stop learning if the class room is where people giggle behind her back or mock her to her face? Of course not, the school should be made safe for a bullying victim by removing the bullies. I would prefer suspension with educational community service to rehability kids who bully over expulsion. But if someone is terrorizing a school he or she will jump from victim to victim without intervention and would need to be expelled for the sake of the other students.

No matter how you look at it, I think a social space, whether a local cafe or a cyber cafe, should be made safe, not avoided for the sake of safety.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #79 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I don't hang out with friends and this is the only Internet communication site I use I do not go anywere with out my parents I just ignore bullies even when they try to hurt me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #80 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
Alright. Watched the video so now I can clarify. I was referring more to the mistake she made when she slept with the guy she met, fully aware of the fact that he had a gf. It is possible that her first mistake may have haunted her forever but it is hard to feel for her knowing she would do something like that. Yes, it is a stupid mistake from a teenage girl who had already gone through a tough time, but she obviously didn't consider the repercussions of her actions considering what happened in the past. It seems almost like she was inviting trouble to her doorstep.

Does any of this information make it any less of a tragedy? I don't know. I know this post may offend a lot of people but this is how I feel and I hope that others will respect my opinion on this. I am not trying to offend anyone, just voicing an opinion.
I'm batting 100 with this thread. First I disappear for 3 days...then I don't see the clarification before I post my first response...what's next?

(I just now realized that I responded to Deso first and Rosso1011 second, not Deso twice. Which means this isn't Deso clarifying an earlier post but Rosso1011 clarifying something I've never responded to before. I'm having the best Monday ever. T_T)

I definitely agree she was going about it all wrong. You don't flash for random people online. You don't sleep around with someone who already has a girlfriend. In fact, sleeping around is dangerous even when your partners are available. She did seem to have trouble realizing that her actions played a hand in her problems which wasn't helping her cope at all. So I'm not saying she walks on water. I'm just saying teens don't raise themselves and I think she needed guidance instead of harassment and constant school changes.

If she was having that much trouble in school, call together an assembly. Turn the whole ordeal into a teaching moment about the dangers of online dating (or "dating" in this instance). Give out pamphlets that give tips on how to spot guys like the 32 year old. Let them know that harrassment and bullying are never justified and no one diserved to be ridiculed for a mistake. Help others not make the same mistake Todd made. That may sound like I'm seeing the world with rose colored glasses, but it makes more sense than playing musical chairs with high schools.

In fact, Todd isn't the only one in this story who desparately needed a heart to heart chat about good attention/relationships versus bad attention/relationships. The boy who thinks he can use other girls as "substitutes" when his girlfriend is away needs a heart to heart about respecting women and want having a girlfriend truly means. The girls who beat up Todd need to be taught not to put up with guys who don't respect. The Bullies need to have their attudes adjusted. The kids who just "went with the flow" need a crash course in how to say No to peer pressure. The list just goes on.

I guess what I'm trying to say (in way too many words ) is that sex ed isn't all about condoms and birth control. No matter what part of this story I read/watch, all I see is a collection of mistakes that would have been prevented with a honest conversation about the darker side of puberty. Parents should talk about EVERYTHING a kid goes through during puberty, not just the comfortable parts.

Last edited by SnowySurface; 10-22-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Just realized I'm typing to 2 different members. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote