Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

dying fish . . .

Here is some background:
-April 2012: guppy drops dead for no reason, suspected old age.
-May 2012: guppy begins to look pregnant, and I am confused as it is definately a male. gets bigger and bigger and bigger. starts to grow lesions on it's belly. deemed by the forum as fish tb. humanely euthanized via hammer.
-August 2012: play gives birth to fry. about 21. in same tank two guppies died in.
-September 2012: i moved them to a kk which after a few weeks i realized heater wasn't working. i also realize about 6 of the fry have bent backs in the moving process.
-October 2012: all fry are gone except for 4 with deformities.
-October 2012: set up a 5.5 gallon NPT for the 4 remaining fry. they are promptly moved to it.
-October 2012: another guppy in 10 gallon starts to grow a large belly. definately male.
-Wednesday: one of the guppies with bent back dies.
-Saturday: guppy with slightly large belly dies.

I am beginning to think my tanks are having a TB outbreak. What are your opinions? My 5 gallon betta/snail tank has been un-effected by it. I use the same gravel siphon and buckets for all tanks.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry for all of your losses. I could be mistaken but isn't TB contagious? If your fish all shared a tank it's quite possible more than one fish has it. And I've read that the human needs to be extra careful when handling fish with TB.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

That is what I thought! I am really confused. :(
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 
homegrown terror

i know this is hard to hear, but if you're dealing with a highly contagious disease like TB, you might want to euthanise your whole stock, and get yourself tested as well. Mycobacterium marinum can lay in a dormant state for weeks or months, both in fish and people, so if your other fish were around the sick ones, they're likely carrying it, and it's next to impossible to treat effectively with antibiotics. if you get any spots or lesions on your skin, get to a doctor immediately! it won't kill you the way pulmonary tuberculosis will, but if it progresses below the skin level it can cause deterioration in your joints, tendons and bones that could end up being permanent.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote