Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #1 
azurefox

Lack of Sunlight makes Betta Colour become Pale?

Hello,
I currently have a Halfmoon Male Betta, the colour is Blue with Turquoise gradient, It live in 5 gallon tank with cannister filter, PH 7.5-8. I put some silkplants there.. his tankmates is 3 Baby Albino Corydoras and 3 Otocinclus..

at first the colour somehow really Blue, (well sometimes I see some clear colour)
but now his Anal Fin become all paler.. and his other fins started to look like that too..

I keep on eye of his behaviour
his appetite still good, love to eat ( I gave him once or twice a day).
I isolate him in a small aquarium for sick fish, I see he swims normaly.
Sometimes I see him dart the gravel/bottom of aquarium when He turn direction of swimming, ex: change from left to right. (is tat normal?)
everything is normal except the colour...

Sometimes the stress lines is appear when I fix something in the tank, but he doesn't afraid or run, he went closer to check my hands....

I heard that Goldfish will become white when it doesn't get sunlight for a longtime, is Betta too? is the Sunlight really affect betta colour?

well If not, any Idea why my betta colour become pale, and how to cure? :(
I love my Betta so much, he love to be pet tho...

thank you so much!
azurefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurefox View Post
Hello,
I currently have a Halfmoon Male Betta, the colour is Blue with Turquoise gradient, It live in 5 gallon tank with cannister filter, PH 7.5-8. I put some silkplants there.. his tankmates is 3 Baby Albino Corydoras and 3 Otocinclus..

at first the colour somehow really Blue, (well sometimes I see some clear colour)
but now his Anal Fin become all paler.. and his other fins started to look like that too..

I keep on eye of his behaviour
his appetite still good, love to eat ( I gave him once or twice a day).
I isolate him in a small aquarium for sick fish, I see he swims normaly.
Sometimes I see him dart the gravel/bottom of aquarium when He turn direction of swimming, ex: change from left to right. (is tat normal?)
everything is normal except the colour...

Sometimes the stress lines is appear when I fix something in the tank, but he doesn't afraid or run, he went closer to check my hands....

I heard that Goldfish will become white when it doesn't get sunlight for a longtime, is Betta too? is the Sunlight really affect betta colour?

well If not, any Idea why my betta colour become pale, and how to cure? :(
I love my Betta so much, he love to be pet tho...

thank you so much!
sunlight isn't good for betta, but light does affect a fish's color. How lit is your aq?
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #3 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
sunlight isn't good for betta, but light does affect a fish's color. How lit is your aq?
lit? litre?
18 litre tank :)
5 gallon less...

I isolate him today in 1 gallon aquarium, just to check his behaviour of swimming, eating, etc..and they all normal..except its colour>.<

so I must put the right Aquarium Tank for Betta?
Now I use 2 watt LED lamp for my 5 gallon aquarium..
I heard that some people use morning Sunlight for 30 minutes everyday..I dunno is that right/not..
my Dad said it need sunlight (since Goldfishes need some sunlight)
but I don't know about betta, while I think every creatures in the world also need a little sunlight for health.... *confuse*
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I see this with my fish when the artifical or sunlight returns color comes but 3 otos and cories is overstocking.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I see this with my fish when the artifical or sunlight returns color comes but 3 otos and cories is overstocking.
I see, maybe I should remove some of the fishes :(
but they're school fishes tho..
well they have been together for almost a month now..at first My Betta was alright.. only in this 3 days it starts to change..I don't know what makes his colour paler..

then maybe I try to put him next to morning sunlight for tomorrow? :) thank you so much for the reply tho
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I remember right diet also affects pigment a 10 or 20 gallon would look great with those fish when I check on my fish at night they are not as brightly colored as day time.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If I remember right diet also affects pigment a 10 or 20 gallon would look great with those fish when I check on my fish at night they are not as brightly colored as day time.
ah..for food.
I only gave him dried small worms >.<
he doesn't like pellets
live worms, I'm afraid with parasites, heard they sometimes bring parasites...

in day time I see my fish colour also pale :(
especialy when the light is on.. I can see his fin so pale..
but his behaviour still the same..sooo.. I don't know..
maybe I try sunlight and variation of diet first...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

dried worms often causes bloat... if you starve him for a week Im sure he'll eat any pellet....

as for the color, get a mirror and flare him. in sunlight, the betta should be lighter....
maybe your tank and substrate is too bright?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
dried worms often causes bloat... if you starve him for a week Im sure he'll eat any pellet....

as for the color, get a mirror and flare him. in sunlight, the betta should be lighter....
maybe your tank and substrate is too bright?
yes I read that it can cause bloat..but I check him, he still alright.. I usually soak and put the dried worms for a minute or two first before I give him..

I use 2 watt LED lamp..
well, my substrate is, white gravel, with some algae on it +.+ (for oto)

this is my tank...
(attached)
I try to gave him the mirror today..but that's only for temporary T_T
and still not as bright as the first i got him..
in hours the colour back again...
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Try different lights. LED vs fluorescent etc... I have never heard of sunlight being bad for fish !! Otherwise I'd have mine in complete darkness. It may cause algae... Sure... But -shrug- that's what my Siamese algae eater is for ;)

Anyways, what is the temperature of your tank? Do you have a heater? When did you do a water change last?

Also as for his eatin habits... I give my bettas frozen bloodworms (thawed), pellets and freeze dried only as treats. I also give mealworm meat... Same supplier as always so I have never had a parasite problem because of food. My bettas have lovely colours!! If he refuses food, don't give in to freeze dried. They lack a lot that pellets and other sources could give, which as someone stated it does affect colour. I had to wait until one of my bettas was hungry enough to stop resisting the food I used!!

Edit: I find some lights are very strong. I break it up with floating plants.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, light, pale, sick