Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 
skepkat

Anyone focus on temperament when breeding?

Just curious if temperament is taken into consideration when breeding? Specifically to create a less aggressive strain.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I consider temperament to determine breeding setup not creating certain character. I find it hard to get "good" daddies lately and fry becomes bad daddies as well.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Of course!! I actually found, with a very aggressive male he tore my female to bits... I had an aggressive female who did the same thing :/ I had an "ego" male, who was gentle, stayed with his free swimming fry, and had great results. I also find it hard to find "good" daddies. I look for "flirts" before "bullies"... Ones who wiggle and show off, more than flare and panic!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 
skepkat

Thanks for the replies. I find it interesting. Seems like these fish are a bit like popular dog breeds - with back yard breeders causing temperament problems. I would expect responsible breeders to consider form, health, & temperament before breeding.

Of course, dogs are easier to control fertility (spaying/neutering those that have undesirable genetics). I don't suppose you can tell people, don't breed this betta - slightly more offspring from betta than in a typical canine liter.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #5 
Maddybelle

Yeah, dogs thankfully don't go around having 200 babies at a time! :) I have definitely taken temperament into consideration for my upcoming spawn. These guys have come a long way from fighting fish: I believe that any overly aggressive fish shouldn't be bred. Wouldn't it be cool if, one day, we had bettas that could live together safely?
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #6 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepkat View Post
Thanks for the replies. I find it interesting. Seems like these fish are a bit like popular dog breeds - with back yard breeders causing temperament problems. I would expect responsible breeders to consider form, health, & temperament before breeding.

Of course, dogs are easier to control fertility (spaying/neutering those that have undesirable genetics). I don't suppose you can tell people, don't breed this betta - slightly more offspring from betta than in a typical canine liter.
Aggressiveness is considered to be a quality trait by many betta breeders.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Also aggressiveness seems to form a major part of courtship between many betta species. I wonder if you would have difficulty getting fish to spawn if they were more docile.

I find aggressive fish tend to be more personable than schooling/prey fish. My various schooling fish had all the personality of a door knob, while my bettas each have their own individual personalities.

I think it would be great to breed the edge off the aggression displayed by domesticated splendens so that at least males and females could live together without serious harm. However, I don't think removing it altogether would be improving on the species as a whole.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #8 
buddhauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Yeah, dogs thankfully don't go around having 200 babies at a time! :) I have definitely taken temperament into consideration for my upcoming spawn. These guys have come a long way from fighting fish: I believe that any overly aggressive fish shouldn't be bred. Wouldn't it be cool if, one day, we had bettas that could live together safely?
But then that would defeat the whole purpose of the fish being its self. You'd be taking away its natural character. They are called fighting fish for a reason, very territorial in nature. Im not trying to be rude or anything, sorry if I come off that way. I like their aggressive nature, I think that is why I am so attracted to my little fishies lol
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #9 
Maddybelle

I think you all have very valid points, and I'm not one for boring schooling fish either. :)
The way I see it is, kind of like with Pit Bulls. They started off being bred to be as aggressive as possible, but when dog fighting and bull baiting were outlawed people started breeding for sweet family dogs. The breed didn't become boring, just less likely to rip each other to bits. (I love Pitties!)
I've had less agressive bettas, not interested in flaring at all (still would never house them together) They had just as much personality as a "normal" betta, just calmer.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hopefully OFL sees this one.. Pretty sure breeding for temperament is how her males and females share a tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote