Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I find however you cannot really breed a wuss puss of a male to a manly lady (I would know). Both have to have an approximate behaviour just to breed.

I would wonder however... Since the male has to get the female to submit to get her eggs if the aggression was bred out?

However I find "spazzy" males harder to breed than more mature calm ones
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I find however you cannot really breed a wuss puss of a male to a manly lady (I would know). Both have to have an approximate behaviour just to breed.

I would wonder however... Since the male has to get the female to submit to get her eggs if the aggression was bred out?

However I find "spazzy" males harder to breed than more mature calm ones
Breeding instincts. The male doesn't have to be vicious .... btw, I differentiate aggressive to vicious. Aggressive will flare immediately but not necessarily attack. Viciousness is trying to kill the other. Some "chicken betta" can be very vicious while some aggressive betta can be very gentle.
IMO, though they are bred to be more docile, breeding instincts will kick in.

Make sure both male and female are in breeding mood before you put them together. If either one isn't, it may lead to disaster.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I have been working on this for about 10 years more or less and I have been successful in keeping large groups of males and females together long term in a 75gal NPT. Ages range from near 4 year olds to 3-4 months old.

Its a fine line you have to walk-you don't want the aggression lost-you want them to flare, show off and most important spawn-but still live peaceful together. The older males will square off at a younger or new male I add-but thats it...Flaring, squaring off a slap with his tail and then move on. I will see a younger male challenge an older male and once the big guy puffs up the little guy takes off...lol...No injuries, fins intact.
I will find a nest in the back corner on occasion-but due to all the fish and the filter the fry don't survive-that I can tell...lol... I have seen some tiny Bettas in the tank that I don't remember adding-but I really doubt any survive more due to the guppies-but guppy fry do survive... so its possible.

I can remove them and isolate for days-to-months-then either add back to the tank or go to a spawning tank without any problems. In the beginning this was an issue. Once I removed a male-he couldn't go back to the tank and I had a few males too gentle and wouldn't spawn.

The one issue I do have with keeping them like this-Is that the males won't fin out. I have to isolate them for a couple of weeks to get the fins I want-then add them back to the tank.

Its pretty neat watching a group of long fin males swimming together, eating and chasing a female on occasion. Still have a long ways to go....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 
Maddybelle

OFL, I saw an article on Betty Splendens about keeping the father with the fry in the growout tank. Does this really work/help? She was saying the same thing about how the males would have to be jarred to grow out their fins: the dad, being the alpha male, creates a hormone that limits fin development and aggression to cut down the competition from Jr.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I often leave daddy with fry. IME it reduces aggression. But not eliminate it. After a certain age they will still challenge each other. BUT this can only be done with known good fathers.

I'm not sure about how an adult male could effect fin growth. All I know is that if the body is allowed to grow quickly, the fins will be "stunted" . But if you stunt body growth, fins will develop more. By jarring fry early, body growth is reduced thus giving better chance for fin growth.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I have left the male long term with his offspring and I have also left the female long term for multi spawns-removing the fry as they grew. I have used 2 females to 1 male in my outside spawns. I have experimented with several different methods. It all depends on what you want and/or how important that spawn is to you.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote