Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 
SilverTail

Is this a disease?

Hello,

I have a question concerning one of my betta fish, his temporary name is Nox, or maybe Flint. I am still figuring that out... anyway, I read on here about the different diseases and what to look for and have noticed something on my betta that has me a little concerned.

Here is some information about my bettas' home.

They have 10 gallons each of a 30 gallon aquarium (split up by using one of the tutorials on here with the plastic meshing)
There is a filter that is baffled and a heater, the water is kept at approximately 80'F
There is a moss ball and 2 small panda corey in one of the sections with my most peaceful betta.
I do approximately 10-25% water change once a week and have ammonia strips that I use to test the water, or if I notice they seem a little off. I use water conditioner when I add in water and I do have aquarium salt just incase.
They are currently being fed a small amount of bloodworms twice a day until I can get to the pet store to get some pellets

They all seem healthy and happy, their colours have really blossomed over the last week that I have had them and they make huge bubble nests.

Well I noticed a few days ago that it seems that one of Nox's gills do not quite close all the way. However he doesn't seem to be at all lethargic and swims around all over his tank. He is still blowing bubbles, eating all his food and doesn't seem to be gasping at all when he is swimming. He still swims over to the front of the tank when I come close and wants food; he is acting completely normal and like the others.

I have looked him over carefully when he is swimming around and haven't seen any fading of colours or white spots and he doesn't appear to be bloated..

I can try to get a picture (hard to do cause my camera stucks T_T) if that would help, but the best way that I can describe it is that the beard (or frill or whatever it is called) does not appear to fold all the way back in, and will sometimes stick out a tiny bit. There also doesn't appear to be any redness to the gill itself besides what was already on his scales when I got him (he is a dark blue-black and red betta)

Is this something I should be worried about? If it is, what should I do to treat it?

Thank you so much for any help!
SilverTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

It isn't normal but it isn't anything to worry too much about either...Especially since he is otherwise acting normal.

Sometimes it can be due to a birth defect, injury or scar tissue from an injury or ammonia burns.

Right now, I would observe, maintain water quality, good nutrition and the care you are currently providing....

Look forward to some pic of your setup and tank and to hear more about your Betta keeping adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
SilverTail

Alright ^^ Thank you very much.. that helps me out, I will just make sure that I keep a close eye on him. It doesn't appear to hurt him or anything, and I can't remember if he had it before I got him (I only had him about 2 or 3 days before I noticed it)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 
Laki

Hi and welcome!
I would forego the salt treatment for now. Bettas are freshwater fish and don't need aq salt. However, if one fish ever does come under some sort of external illness or you notice the gills inflamed or red then remove him and set up a small quarentine tank. If only one fish is sick you don't need to treat the whole tank (unless it's parasitic like ick).
Would LOVE to see pics of your tank! It sounds so spacious and nice!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 
SilverTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Hi and welcome!
I would forego the salt treatment for now. Bettas are freshwater fish and don't need aq salt. However, if one fish ever does come under some sort of external illness or you notice the gills inflamed or red then remove him and set up a small quarentine tank. If only one fish is sick you don't need to treat the whole tank (unless it's parasitic like ick).
Would LOVE to see pics of your tank! It sounds so spacious and nice!
Thanks ^^ Yea I am only using the water conditioner at the moment lol but I do have it incase one of my babies get sick <3
I made an album with just a couple of pictures of them so far ^^ but it does have a picture of my tank and my boys
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=4696 (I hope the link works)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 
Laki

Yes it works!! (*goes to it*)
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #7 
SilverTail

Awesome ^^ I am hoping to get some better pictures but I have to scrub off the little water droplets on the tank glass first XD I accidently splashed the edge of the tank during my last cleaning
Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 
Laki

omg I do that all the time. Then I forget to rub them off sometimes and go to take pics and it shows up.. lol every. time.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #9 
SilverTail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
omg I do that all the time. Then I forget to rub them off sometimes and go to take pics and it shows up.. lol every. time.
XDD Yea one of those spots ruined the nicest picture I got of a closeup of Nox cause it is like, right in the middle of his face T_T so will definitely wash those off and try to get some better pictures, my problem is my boys arent afraid of the camera or the flash and come right up too close for the zoom lol

<3 just want to say a huge thank you to you guys for helping! I have had fish (my parents took care of it and everything) before but this is my first personal tank ^^
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 
Laki

Yay congrats! My mom didn't ever really get involved in our pet keeping which is weird and it's funny that myself and two sisters are good with animals! lol Learned the hard way I suppose :(
Ludendorff hates the flash of a camera but Bowser doesn't mind. However, after pointing a pen at them both I realise Lude looks the bigger and fiercer of the two but is shyer and less confrontational. Bowser puts himself in a flashy tizzy over pens.

Tags
gill disease