Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1 
survivor

Yet another Dropsy thread

I was given a crown tail with what appears to be dropsy. The old owner (one of my sorority sisters. She went with the basic "whatever the label tells me to do" betta care). Super bloated tummy, scales pineconing, weird swimming patterns.

I've had other fish with dropsy, and this really looks like it. None of my fish with dropsy have lived for very long.

I started by fasting him out. I also put some antifungals in his tank as well as some salt.

It's been 2 weeks, and he's looking better. He's still very bloated, but it seems like his scales have laid down flat. He's blowing himself a bubble nest. He'll eat about 2 pellets a day.

Should I be prepared to have him around for a while or is he just not dying as quickly any more?
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 
LittleFish2012

I think we're in the same boat. Like you, I recently took in a CT with dropsy. I also did the same things you did (except I used antibiotics instead of antifungal).
And it sounds like my CT is in the same condition as yours- bloated tummy, flattened scales.
Mine has been around for almost two more months and is still hanging in there. I think yours will likely be around for a few more months as well.
I think you've likely lengthened his lifespan by treating him- especially with the salts (assuming it's something like epsom salts).

I'd be ready to make room for him. He'll probably be around a while longer. :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote