Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #11 
tfish000

disregard above then. I have epsom salt in my dorm on standby in case I needed it but I can use it on Ray if it will help. I will try 100% water changes with the epsom salt. Anything else that may help?
tfish000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #12 
lelei

Yes, It would be best to stop running the filter for now, and try the epsom salt, with daily water changes, as it will help to improve his immune system, and he may come around, try that for 4-7 days, and see how it goes, I hope well..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #13 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfish000 View Post
disregard above then. I have epsom salt in my dorm on standby in case I needed it but I can use it on Ray if it will help. I will try 100% water changes with the epsom salt. Anything else that may help?
Right now that is the best that can be done, if he starts to show improvement then try feeding his regular diet of pellets
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #14 
sunlight

+1.

But i am sorry please forgive me, but be ready for the worse though. And sometimes with dropsy it can take long time until they die. But i would differently try 3tsp/gall epsom salt. And don't get very upset i don't think he has pain though.
Give us update please.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #15 
tfish000

I just finished working on him for the night. I did a 100% water change. I also removed the sand from the tank to make future water changes easier. I only put 1 gallon of fresh water in the tank, conditioned it with my water conditioner (TopFin Betta Water Conditioner) and added the 3tsp of epsom salt. During this process he was in the cup that he came in. I let his cup sit in the fresh water for 15 or so min to let the temperatures balance out before slowly mixing the waters and moving him into the tank. No improvement yet. He mostly lays on the bottom, completely flush to the bottom now. And every now and then he will burst up to the surface for a gasp of air and then sink straight to the bottom afterward. I'm preparing for the worst and its hard to watch but I'm praying for him.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #16 
tfish000

He didn't make it for much longer after I finished typing the above. Poor guy. :'( But he's in a better place now.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #17 
sunlight

If his scales up and if it will get worse despite that you are adding epsom salt i would say i am pretty sure he will not make it . Sorry for saying that just be prepare. Epsom salt now is the only one choice /help for him, which might not help, especially that he sick for long time too. So don't wait for immediate results from the salt. Dropsy is fluid accumulations which will lead to kidney failure. Also if you will see that he is getting worse, i would say even now if you can i think it really better to keep him in that small container, because he is straggling to go up to the surface.

Last edited by sunlight; 10-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #18 
Laki

oh my god, I'm so sorry :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #19 
sunlight

tfish000 so sorry you really did everything you could. Sorry for my previous post. I was at work and took time to write so we probably posted at the same time.I didn't see that you wrote. If you decide to rescue another betta you need to disinfect the tank. Let us know if you need instructions on that.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #20 
tfish000

I would like to get another betta fish at some point though not right away. However it would be nice to know how to disinfect the tank/sand/decorations that I have now so that they can be safely reused without putting a new fish's health at risk. As of now I have emptied all of the water from the tank and rinsed everything out with clean water. No soap because I know that the residue can cause issues for some fish. What else should be done to disinfect the tank/decorations?