Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #1 
Blacklight

Suggestions for baffling and making this filter safe.

I have a "Tetra Whisper Microfilter" on my five gallon tanks. The filter is almost perfectly round with a pour spout where the water comes out and slits underneath it for water intake. It IS adjustable, but even on it's lowest setting at pretty much a trickle, it caused enough current to bang my boy betta down to the gravel rather violently so obviously I need some baffling of some sort.
Also, he seems to like to hang out under the intake slits and rub up against them like he's scratching his back. It's one of his favorite games. He doesn't seem to be getting sucked in and he'll sit under there just fine, but I think the intake current feels good to him for some reason. However, I don't really like him hanging out under there as I'm paranoid that he'll get an errant fin sucked into a slit.

So. I want to use the filter, but I want to make it safe for my little guy. Now this filter is totally round and the top of it is right up against the tank cover so using the water bottle method is out. I also want to block his access to the intake, but not impede it.

Anyone have any suggestions other than just not filtering? I assume putting a silk plant under the pour spout would work for the baffling and how would you suggest blocking him from those intakes without blocking everything the filter should be picking up? Any other ideas?
I thought about a floating plant, but my wife doesn't want live plants to have to deal with.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There are little things you can put over the intake and outtake and tons of decorations help diloot current.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #3 
homegrown terror

if you lower the outspout to just barely above the water surface, it won't fall as far, and therefore it won't develop as much gravitational energy (think how much faster you fall through air than water) and will disturb your fish a lot less.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also raise the water level.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

Can you put a large piece of sponge under the poor spout? I used an elsatic to keep it in place.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #6 
titusthebetta

So far with this filter, I've kept the water line very close to the top of the filter, and there's very little disturbance of the water. Mori just has to swim a little harder when he's swimming through that area, but otherwise he's fine with the outflow. Also, make sure it's on its lowest setting.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add decorations something over the intake and extate.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #8 
Blacklight

I thought of getting some silk plants to put under it but then I went shopping for them. Apparently, the fad around my area is for silk aquarium plants that either look like bouquets that a grandmother would have on her kitchen table complete with daisy looking flowers, or these plants that are SHAPED like real underwater plants, but are NEON DAYGLOW COLORED. If I put those in my tanks, it would look like the fish is at a rave.
All the other plants are the hard plastic ones. Tomorrow I make another trip on my quest for silk plants that at least look like plants.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Can you put a large piece of sponge under the poor spout? I used an elsatic to keep it in place.
+1 to this. I baffle all my filters with elastic and filter sponge, works wonders. Much more effective then just putting plants under the outflow IMO/E.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #10 
laurenmekal

this is what i've done for my 5.5 gal, all i bought were some fluval aquarium sponges and a rubber band! heres what mine looks like now

i have a small baby betta and she does not even notice the current now.
laurenmekal is offline   Reply With Quote