Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

this will be our son's first all-his-own betta

we've decided we're getting him a UV glow-light tank for xmas, and i just found on ebay the PERFECT boy to be the crown jewel fish of his tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Whi...item337cf655d4

i'm gonna buy him once i get paid on thursday, and we're gonna set him up a temporary 3 or 5 gal tank and keep him a secret until the setup is complete. it's gonna be a 20 gallon community with a day/night and UV glow LED system, stocked with this boy and 5-7 UV-reflective platies or danios. if the betta turns out to be community aggressive, i'm going to house a tank-within-a-tank 3gal halfmoon in the center, partially obscured with silk plants, kind of like a throne room. we're going to make our own florescent silks by taking the stem parts from standard silk plants and cutting our own leaves from florescent silk fabric, and probably substrate it with a mix of black and white gravel so that some will glow and some will be a dark background. most of the decor will be GloFish brand inserts so that it will reflect the UV light and continue the theming. of course all these details are up in the air till they're cemented in place, but my fiance and i have been giddily planning this present for the last month or so, and are finally starting the countdown to putting it in motion!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 
Connierodz

That is a great fish!!..btw..do you still own all this bettas..or through the years..??
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
sareena79

the "throne room" idea sounds really neat....id love to see pix. and man Im a HUGE ebayer but never knew u could get bettas on there, now Im gonna have to go "shopping" lol gee thanks!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
the "throne room" idea sounds really neat....id love to see pix. And man im a huge ebayer but never knew u could get bettas on there, now im gonna have to go "shopping" lol gee thanks!
don't you dare go touchin' my boy!!! I got dibs on him!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 
sareena79

lol no silly I didnt mean YOUR fish, but i sure did see some beauties on there.
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connierodz View Post
That is a great fish!!..btw..do you still own all this bettas..or through the years..??
the ones in my signature? they're our current stock. we've had a few die on us, but the majority are doing wonderfully!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #7 
twolovers101

Such a wonderful gift!! I hope your son likes it :D (he probably will lol) I want to do this for my kids eventually (ideas ideas ideas...)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
lol no silly I didnt mean YOUR fish, but i sure did see some beauties on there.
yeah,and there's the benefit over aquabid that a larger number of them are already in the US, so there's no need for a stressful overseas shipping for the fish, or an expensive transhipper for the buyer :)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

a question for anyone that might know: since i've now pretty much got my heart set on the tank-within-a-tank design, if the water in the main tank is heated adequately, will the 3gal inside need its own heater, or will the exterior water insulate it and keep it at an even temperature?

EDIT: if it'd help, i've attached a rough sketch of the design concept. the notations aren't really legible since i just took a webcam photo, but you should get a general idea of the setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by homegrown terror; 10-14-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
a question for anyone that might know: since i've now pretty much got my heart set on the tank-within-a-tank design, if the water in the main tank is heated adequately, will the 3gal inside need its own heater, or will the exterior water insulate it and keep it at an even temperature?
it should insulate it :O there needs to be a good current circulating the outer layer though
ao is offline   Reply With Quote