Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 
katiemcginnis

Fin Rot or Being Attacked?

My betta fish is in a tank with 12 neon tetra, a dalmatian molly, and a pladdy. It's 55 gallons, perfect levels of everything.

My guy's fins keep on getting worse. Any idea why? Is it self-biting? I've never seen any other fish pick on him.

katiemcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I say being attacked tetras and mollies can be very aggressive and perfect water quality is not the preferred habitat of fin rot.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I have perfect water except for a bit of high ph and my boys have some fin rot issues so i would say it could be possible myself...although if I were to guess id say its more likely from dragging the tail across the gravel...I think that was the start of my problems which continued to grow with filter use. The damage turned into rot as rot can be oportunistic. It also appears that you have plastic plants? That can too cause tail damage. Is that the normal color of your fish? Its unique.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #4 
shellieca

It looks like either nipping or getting snagged on something, or sucked into the filter intake. One of my males seems to always some minor fin damage but I keep his 10g clean & so far no real problems. Definitely keep an eye on him & I'd watch for aggression from his tank mates.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote