Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #1 
norico

Put something in the water tank ?

Hello there,

I want to know some information.
I heard friends who put in lemmon, aroe or some Vitamin in the water tank.

What do you think ?
Is there also put something similar like that ?

Please let me know !

Thank you,
norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
Laki

No.
The best thing to add to water is basic conditioner to remove harmful chemicals from tap water.. Secondly, indian almond leaf to tan the water and provide antibacterial properties, strengthening the immune system..
Lemon is quite acidic so I don't think it would do the water chemistry any favors. At least, in North America it is not common practice.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
No.
The best thing to add to water is basic conditioner to remove harmful chemicals from tap water.. Secondly, indian almond leaf to tan the water and provide antibacterial properties, strengthening the immune system..
Lemon is quite acidic so I don't think it would do the water chemistry any favors. At least, in North America it is not common practice.
Hello,

Thank you for quikcly responding. I see, I thought that. Somebody said me Lemon is remove and meke good water. But I dobt it.

Thank you so much !
Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
Laki

Well if you could find out why exactly the lemon might be used, and ask what specifically it does to make the water so good people here can see if it's equal to the store bought conditioners we use!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #5 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Well if you could find out why exactly the lemon might be used, and ask what specifically it does to make the water so good people here can see if it's equal to the store bought conditioners we use!
Hello there,

They said the lemon is killed bacteria and keep water, that's all. Then his betta alive 4 years. He put one drop lemmon in his water tank when he change the water. He has like 10 gallon tank.

Thank you,
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by norico View Post
Hello there,

They said the lemon is killed bacteria and keep water, that's all. Then his betta alive 4 years. He put one drop lemmon in his water tank when he change the water. He has like 10 gallon tank.

Thank you,
thing is 99% of the bacteria in your tank are the ones you WANT in there, they break down ammonia and make your water safer between changes. if you introduce something specifically meant to kill bacteria, you'll have an ammonia spike, and possibly some very dead fish. IAL and oak leaves are the only natural additive that are commonly considered beneficial to your aquarium. i've heard of people using anything from tea leaves to ground coffee beans to even a certain (illicit) plant leaf to aid their water quality, but success stories are anecdotal at best.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #7 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
thing is 99% of the bacteria in your tank are the ones you WANT in there, they break down ammonia and make your water safer between changes. if you introduce something specifically meant to kill bacteria, you'll have an ammonia spike, and possibly some very dead fish. IAL and oak leaves are the only natural additive that are commonly considered beneficial to your aquarium. i've heard of people using anything from tea leaves to ground coffee beans to even a certain (illicit) plant leaf to aid their water quality, but success stories are anecdotal at best.
Hello,

I see what you mean. I also heard from pet shop worker, he said someone using tea leaves or coffee beans. It's replace almond leaves.
Honestly, I put in lemon sometime. But I am not sure it's good or not. I stopped that.

Thank you for your advice !
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by norico View Post
Hello,

I see what you mean. I also heard from pet shop worker, he said someone using tea leaves or coffee beans. It's replace almond leaves.
Honestly, I put in lemon sometime. But I am not sure it's good or not. I stopped that.

Thank you for your advice !
if a dude in a pet store gives you advice, it's ALWAYS best to confirm it online before you take it. a lot of them don't know, and a lot more just don't care. there will usually be at least one person in each store who's really passionate about fish, and knows what they're talking about. find that person, and listen ONLY to him/her, not the run of the mill polo-shirts who are just trying to get you out of the store with a purchase.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #9 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
if a dude in a pet store gives you advice, it's ALWAYS best to confirm it online before you take it. a lot of them don't know, and a lot more just don't care. there will usually be at least one person in each store who's really passionate about fish, and knows what they're talking about. find that person, and listen ONLY to him/her, not the run of the mill polo-shirts who are just trying to get you out of the store with a purchase.
Okay, thank you for your advice !
I always cinfirm, and searching this website. But it's not information something this thread. And I wonder American use some original, and I asked.

Thanks !!!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

It could help lower the PH. but since each lemon is different and some are more sour than others.... the effect will be different each time. I doubt 1 drop of lemon in a few gallons of water will make a big change in chemistry...but sometimes its just best to stick with normal water.

speaking of which.....
we've never seen your fish!
I want to see a photo! haha

misete kuremasenka?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote