Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #1 
Blacklight

Heater question

I'm going to be getting a new couple of heaters for my tanks. The ones that I bought just aren't bringing the temperature up properly. They keep dropping below 75 degrees and regularly going to almost 70. (and these things are supposed to handle up to a 10 gallon tank). The heaters seem to be turning on, but they're only keeping the tank room temperature for some reason and my tanks are the bare minimum size listed for these things. It's puzzling, unless they're both defective out of the box. It says in the instructions that it will take about 24 hours for the tank to reach it's final temperature. It claims that it's supposed to keep the tank at a stable 78 degrees and it's clearly not doing that.

Now, about aquarium heater design. If I just put a new heater in, are these things designed to raise the temperature gradually as to not shock the fish with the temperature change? Is it safe to just put the heater in there and let it do it's thing or should I remove the fish for it's acclimation period?

The last thing I want to do is chill, cook, or put my fish into temperature shock.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I'm going to be getting a new couple of heaters for my tanks. The ones that I bought just aren't bringing the temperature up properly. They keep dropping below 75 degrees and regularly going to almost 70. (and these things are supposed to handle up to a 10 gallon tank). The heaters seem to be turning on, but they're only keeping the tank room temperature for some reason and my tanks are the bare minimum size listed for these things. It's puzzling, unless they're both defective out of the box. It says in the instructions that it will take about 24 hours for the tank to reach it's final temperature. It claims that it's supposed to keep the tank at a stable 78 degrees and it's clearly not doing that.

Now, about aquarium heater design. If I just put a new heater in, are these things designed to raise the temperature gradually as to not shock the fish with the temperature change? Is it safe to just put the heater in there and let it do it's thing or should I remove the fish for it's acclimation period?

The last thing I want to do is chill, cook, or put my fish into temperature shock.
Hagen elite.
cheapest and most reliable one around for the price.

go for the 50w one (under size option), it's exactly the same as the 25 except cheaper right now. the price on the 25w fluctuates regularly :/

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...5w+hagen+elite

buy $1 more of items and you can get free shipping...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote