Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1 
Nicko

Salt?

So my betta has a bit of a curl on his fins and a small cut on his tail that for some reason doesn't want to heal, I bought a conditioner and everything about 2-3 weeks ago so I thought he'd heal fast as I read that they usually heal in less than a week. So someone on the site told me that if conditioner doesn't help I should use aquarium salt. I did my research and I'm kind of confused because people say that I can use iodized or non-iodized table salt, others say that iodized salt will kill a betta? Another opinion was that I shouldnt use any salt except if it isn't aquarium salt... so I'd love to know what you guys think.
P.S I'm not planning to add salt directly in the tank, I want to do salt baths for about 10-15 min in 1g water ( i read that you add 1t.sp in 1g of water, is that true?)
Thanks in advance! :))
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I have always used Aq salt but have been told non-iodized, no additives table salt is fine. I'm overly cautious so I won't use anything but Aq salt.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #3 
Nicko

Oh well I will try with table salt and if i notice that he looks too stressed by it i will take him out. Thanks for the reply : )
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 
Sivan

Do NOT use iodized salt! That will kill or cause great harm to your fish. Aquarium salt is salt that is specialized for aquarium fish.

Here is a great article on uses of aquarium salt: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2850
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 
Nicko

ok, thank you.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #6 
Nicko

ok thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 
OrangeAugust

Is it just the edge of his fins that are curling? That's usually due to hard water. My fish's anal fins and ventral fins are curled a lot because of hard water. Hard water makes their fins slower to heal, too. One of my fish was biting his tail, but he stopped a few weeks ago and it's really only in the past week that I've noticed new growth.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #8 
lelei

Hi Nicko, If you havent tried Stress coat, it is great, for ripped fins, and AQ salt, I used it for my tail biting fishy, and his tail is growing back, slowly but surely, but If you use the salt, use in a Hospital tank, around 1.5 gal for 3-7 days with daily water changes, it works really well:) Hope your fishy heals up soon..Good luck..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 
lelei

For AQ salt, dissolve first, really good, mix with the stress coat..and 1tsp per gal is great:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 
Myates

You don't need to use salt, and it's highly recommended you not unless he has rot or other external health issues. For a ripped fin you just need to keep the tank clean with your weekly water changes and it will heal on it's own.. You are exposing him to the salt unnecessarily and it's just healthier to not use it when it's not needed.

For a curl it's common and nothing you can do about it regardless of your water hardness.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote