Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 
WDW Donna

Tank light

Do bettas need to have a light in their tank? I am asking because my tank light has stopped working. It's not the bulb (I tried it in another tank) I don't really think it is worth taking to get the unit fixed. Could I use a desk light? I have seen new led lights meant for fishtanks could I use them?
My tank is an Aqueon 5gal.
Thanks
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If its a florescent bulb and light strip-check and see if it needs a new starter...You will see somewhere around the light bulb another small tube looking thing-you twist to remove it. This might need to be replaced...I replace all of mine yearly when I change my light bulbs....Google florescent light starter for a better idea if you don't understand....

As for light-if you don't have live plants-the light is more for you to see the fish and inside the tank.

This is what it look like...I get mine at walmart for under $2.00 for 2 starters. Be sure and get the correct size for the watts of the bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...scent+starters

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #3 
WDW Donna

Thanks for the info. I don't have any live plants so the light is more for decoration. I took the light fixture apart and I do believe it is the socket or starter. Our walmart should have it.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Great, glad I could help...usually if the bulb still works its the starter that went out...I hope that fixes it for you.....
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 
914joe

You can also find the starters at home depot for about 2 dollars there are 2 in a pack ,much cheaper than pet store.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Do you have the Mini Bow? I do and I dropped the hood last week and broke the light fixture.
What's this starter thing everyone's talking about? The metal ring that the light screws into fell out and I can't get it back in. I got an LED desk lamp, though, and I like the way the light looks way better than the compact fluorescent that I had in the hood.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
You can also find the starters at home depot for about 2 dollars there are 2 in a pack ,much cheaper than pet store.
So true, I have found that I can find things I need/use with my aquariums-much cheaper in other dept and stores for so much less. It seems if the item has "aquarium" on the label it cost double- if not more for the same product that doesn't have "aquarium" on the label. Especially lights, light bulbs and starters....