Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 
reaperscreepers

Shredded Fins & Tail

hey guys!

so recently i found my betta with shredded fins and tails after i got back from work..

it doesnt look very serious but i am concern about it..

he does not have any weird/funny behavior and has been eating well..

Here are some pictures of the problem:

(Previously it was beautiful and rounded, not with holes and not shredded)

I have been doing 50% WC without fail everyday and feeding him frozen bloodworms and atison betta food pellets!

The betta now is in a 5 gal tank with temperature always at 78 and has a filter for 2 days.

Previously, its been a 0.5 gal tank and has been doing fine, eating well and making bubble nest! And then 3 days ago i saw the shredded tail and fins. I was told that he might be feeling bored and started to bite his tail., but im not sure if yes tail biting or fin rot!

So can anyone identify whats wrong with him?

TIA!
reaperscreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 
twolovers101

It looks very similar to the way Nova looked in the early stages of bacterial fin rot...
If I were you, I'd start with AQ salt now and see if you can nip it in the bud so you don't have to go buy meds, 1 teaspoon of salt dissolved into water (per gallon) BEFORE you add it to his tank is the dosage... also, it'd be easier to have him in a smaller hospital tank, or remove all his decorations as you will have to make 100% water changes everyday to keep the water clean and to replenish the salt. You can't do partial changes with salt treatments because it doesn't evaporate and too much salt will be harmful.

Also, don't continue the treatment for more than 10 days, I've heard its bad for the fish. If he's still showing signs of pinholes and the black edges, and roughness, do a maracyn I and II treatment. I'm currently doing that for Nova and it seems to be working :D
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
Connierodz

Smile

On the first pic it looks like tailbitting..and if its finrot..its the same treatment..(clean water)
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 
reaperscreepers

Thanks for the help!

Ok so I'm gonna get some AQ salt, transfer him to a small 0.5 gal tank for the next few days and see if it helps..

So far I have been monitoring his condition and lucky its not getting worse.. Everything is still normal, eating well and moving around happily..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #5 
reaperscreepers

Also, should I just monitor his condition first before giving him the salt treatment?

If it doesn't get worse, should I give it to him?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #6 
reaperscreepers

anyone???
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 
lelei

I would suggest some stress coat, for the tailbiting issue, so it doesn't turn to rot, If the tail and the fins don't improve with just clean water and stress coat, then opt for the salt treatment.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #8 
reaperscreepers

ITS GETTING WORSE!! AND I THINK ITS FIN ROT NOT TAIL BITE!!

It has blackish color around the tearing area!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
sainthogan

I'm just curious, are those plastic plants in your tank? If so, that could be what's causing the tearing, or anything else that may have sharp edges. Also, you say that you have a 5 gallon tank with a filter, if that's true, you really only need to do 1 or 2 50% water changes a week. Too many unneeded water changes can cause stress to your fish as well, which can lead to fin tearing too.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 
reaperscreepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I'm just curious, are those plastic plants in your tank? If so, that could be what's causing the tearing, or anything else that may have sharp edges. Also, you say that you have a 5 gallon tank with a filter, if that's true, you really only need to do 1 or 2 50% water changes a week. Too many unneeded water changes can cause stress to your fish as well, which can lead to fin tearing too.
its true that i have 5 gal with filter tank, but i only transferred him 4 days ago...

the plant is a real plant..

his fin rot happened before i transferred him to the 5 gal tank... it happened when he was in a 0.5 gal tank with no filter and decor/plants.. so i believe i stress him too much by always changing water too frequently..