Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 
Hershey

Stocking question

I have a 10g tank with my male betta, 2 apple snails, and an ADF

Question 1: Can I add 2 more frogs without overstocking

Q2: If I can (Q1) Could I add tetras or something that requires a school?

(Mainly because my mom is like: get moar fish!)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No I would say that tank is fully stocked but one more ADF might work.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Remember if you get a new ADF not to put it in with your current one. You have to quaranteen the new ADF for three months before you can let it have any contact with the one you have now due to Chystrid Fungus which is highly lethal in frogs and hard to cure. Better safe than sorry so be very safe.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #4 
Hershey

Okay. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I just wanted to make sure you know since I have been battling the heartache Chystrid Fungus causes. Honestly the only reason my frog is alive is because I caught it so early and knew exactly what it was with how he was behaving having researching it the day I brought him home. Plus I had great ADF experts on another site walking me through treatment. But it's very highly contagious.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 
Hershey

Can you tell me more about it?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

I certainly can, the best way to avoid it is avoid stores that sell both ADF's and African Clawed Frogs. ACF are carriers of the fungus but it does not hurt them. Even if they are not shipped with the ADF's chances of the tansk getting cross contaminated at a petshop are pretty high since they don't care about cross contamination. Even a few drops of water from an ACF tank that has spores going into a ADF tank means all the ADF's in the tank are now infected and should be properly treated.

Best way to tell if a frog has Chystrid Fungus is if they stop eating, become very lethargic, get very pale/look like they are getting ready to shed but don't (some get darker though), also if they shed more than normal or some just stop shedding. They will also act like they are trying to climb out of the water. Thought that the fungus is actually suffocating them and making it hard for them to breath. Usually when it gets to that point though the frogs die shortly after. QT a new frog in cooler water like 76 degrees for three months should be best since the fungus thrives in cooler water and does poor in warmer water. The best cures if you discover your frog has the fungus is 10 sprays of Lamasil AT spray per 200ml of water for 10 days OR what I am doing is a 6 day spa where you put your frog in 89 degree water. At that temp the spores and fungus can't survive and it will start to die off. Once the fungus is cured it's best to keep the frog in qt for 3 months to make sure it's a full recovery and it does not come back. If somehow your tank becomes infected treat all frogs and nuke the tank (throw away all gravel and live plants and clean all decorations and the tank then let it dry in the sun for a day) The spores and fungus can not survive in dry environments either so drying everything off and leaving it dry for a day is a great way to kill it off on the tank and decorations as well. It's pretty nasty stuff and pretty scary but so long as you do a good qt I don't think you will ever have to worry about an outbreak in your main tank.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 
Hershey

Thank you. c:

Tags
10 gallon, african dwarf frog, crowntail betta, stocking help