Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 
Jonezy

new betta

Hey everyone, new here, just a quick question about my new betta fissh, I got him on saturday for pets at home. I have him in my 23l fluval edge aalong with some danios, he gets on fine with them, they just keep out of his way. I've noticed that a lot of the time he will swim at the back of the tank under the flowing water from the filter then under the filter intube then turns around and goes back again, he does this no stop for a while then gets back to just swimming about. Just wondering if this is normal?
Thanks
Jonezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Danios need 20 gallon miniumum plus 10 is needed for fish tank mates of bettas.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 
Jonezy

Ah ok, well I have aa 20 gallon community tank, ill put the danios in there, this is my first betta so just wanted to see what he was like with other fish, a few shrimp would be ok in the betta tank right?

Any idea on the betta behaviour though?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Danios are fast moving and can fin nip so they might be doing it and shrimp or snails will work unless you have a shrimp eating Betta.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #5 
Jonezy

Well I've watched them constantly and never once seen the danios bother the betta, but can't see how that would make him swim the same route over and over?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Could be high current.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Other fish in that small of a tank is a no, shrimp would be okay granted your betta isn't aggressive and if he is I would go with a snail instead since the shell should protect it. Some betta's love company, others could care less, and some HATE anything living in their tank. I have two completely different fish myself, surprisingly my male loves his company. He likes his frog friend but if he see's another fish betta or other he will flare and get pissy. My female could care less if she was alone or in a sorority, she just does her own thing all day long. Though I have a feeling my girl will get shrimp and snail company when I get her 10 gallon fully cycled.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 
rosy delta

My bettas play in the overflow and around the intake tubes too. make sure the intake is covered with a sponge or stocking so no one gets stuck in it. I used to think there was something wrong with my fish, but it seems they all love to do it if they have a HOB filter!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote