Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
pyro fiend

what of these many things killed my plants..

well i been eading n i read tht my plants were prob dieing. the leaves were all browning nd transparent.. so im wondering what of thease many things killed it..

they were fine and healthy in a 20h with only a lamp tht has a standard cfl bulb [15w] and to increase growth i decided id move them to my 10g. i pulled all the plants and put them in 2g bucket of tank water. not thinking when i did this a sturred up all the dirt in the substrate.. so i coudlnt save any more of the water.. a few of the leaves wilted just a lil on a plant or 2.. befor i got them in the 10.

i switched to the 10 only having 1/5 normal water [wish id of thought that thru more] i added a few other things. 2 seeds id hoped to grow and some stems i wasnt having luck with... in the 10 they stayed for id say 3 weeks. i did alot of water changes the first week and a half [ev few days] then i let it sit hoping the used filter media will kick in and itl be fine... in this week and a half i noticed 3 of the failing stems rotted in the gravel.. even with the light baring down on them.. after i got them out i seen leaves going yellow did a 50% few days later i checked my seeds whod been in a glass in the window and had seen no growth.. so i checked on them.. wheeew they were stinking and rotting..i was so scared for my fish i used only 3g of this water and moved everything back to the 20 with just sand.. now half the plants leaves died or were dieing and a bit transparent...

after reading that the transparent leaves are diding i clipped everything with transparentsy or brown.. my tanks nearly empty now... 3 of my arg swords had nothing but those leaves and heav to be left floating in fear of rot... also just noticed my anchored anubia nana has a single leafe going transparent UGH this is killing me ;'( what could have killed thease guys n what can i do to fix it? its making me give up on live plants.. only one 100% healthy it seems is a "aquatic asian fern" that floats for my betta to sleep.. i rly like plants n i wana save them :C what can i do?!?!

Last edited by pyro fiend; 10-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What species?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #3 
pyro fiend

well the befor thriving pants were amazon swords and argentine swords. also the anubia nana has spots as mentioned

Argentine Sword are Echinodorus Argentinensis i believe they where doing super the like 4in plants were almost 8in in some spots and now.. -flush sound- =\
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 
lelei

Yu know what don't feel bad, I am in the same boat, I had my Amazon Sword plants for about 3-4 mons, and now I have maybe 2-3 leaves left on the plant, and they used to be green, big and lush, I am so disappointed too, because I have done nothing different, in all that time, and I always clean the whole tank, by uprooting the plants, and replanting, and never had a problem, but the only thing I did different, was switch thier position, mostly they were in the front, the last time they were on the side or the back of the tank..but uggh, all brown, and that transparency look on almost all the big ones, I am hoping the little ones will grow, and new ones may come out..idk..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
pyro fiend

yea =\ i was lking npt's n now im just crushed :'(
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Most plant failures are due to the wrong color temp bulb, old light bulbs and/or too short a photoperiod-when its not related to non-aquatic plants, improper planting or normal emersed/submersed leaf change over.

What kind of lights, age of bulb, kelvin and photoperiod.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #7 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Most plant failures are due to the wrong color temp bulb, old light bulbs and/or too short a photoperiod-when its not related to non-aquatic plants, improper planting or normal emersed/submersed leaf change over.

What kind of lights, age of bulb, kelvin and photoperiod.
So, does that mean less light, or more light, In my case, the plants were directly under the lighting, in the front, but not as much in the back or the side where they started to die.. So I am guessing an Amazon Sword needs lots of light
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Its more about the color temp of the light source...Not all color temps of light can be used by the plants for photosynthesis. We can see the light but the plants can't. Same with old light bulbs, the intensity is lost over time-usually in about 12 months-The light still works but the plants can't see the light to use for energy.
Too short of photoperiod can also cause plant problems-you can trick the plant into thinking its a season change and cause them to go dormant, die or flower-old bulbs and wrong color temp bulbs can cause this too.

Proper color temp is the driving force behind successful plant growth-You want a color temp in the 5000-7000K range-Ideally 6500K (Kelvin) since that is closest to the natural sun color temp.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its more about the color temp of the light source...Not all color temps of light can be used by the plants for photosynthesis. We can see the light but the plants can't. Same with old light bulbs, the intensity is lost over time-usually in about 12 months-The light still works but the plants can't see the light to use for energy.
Too short of photoperiod can also cause plant problems-you can trick the plant into thinking its a season change and cause them to go dormant, die or flower-old bulbs and wrong color temp bulbs can cause this too.

Proper color temp is the driving force behind successful plant growth-You want a color temp in the 5000-7000K range-Ideally 6500K (Kelvin) since that is closest to the natural sun color temp.

To be honest, I have absolutley no Idea, what that all means^^^.. the (color temp part)..hahaha..but the light in the tank is very bright, and the hood that houses the bulb is hot sometimes..if that helps..and it's a 5 gal tank, and the hood is heavy with the light in it. and I only keep it on during the day..but throughout the whole summer, it was really lush, and green..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #10 
starrlamia

bright to our eyes is not the same to a plant, usually you can look at the bulb and see what type it is.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote