Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75-82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food Pellets, Zoo Med Betta micro floating Betta pellet food, and Top Fin Freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try to about 3 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? YES: I took a sample of water to Petsmart two days ago. I don't remember exact numbers or what she tested for, but she told me my water was fine in everything.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes: He is losing his green/blue hue on his body (turning greyish), his black gills are poking out a little, his fins are clamped close to his body, and just today he has white spider web-like things floating on all his fins. (picture attached)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes: First he just sat at the bottom corner of the tank, then he hung around the top corner of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I bought API Melafix to treat bacterial infections before the white spider-web things appeared
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? I just bought him about 2 weeks ago

I got my Betta from a store about 2 weeks ago, and it got sick a couple of days after I brought it home.
I bought everything you need for a start up tank including a hiding place, Bacopa Caroliniana plant, and Marimo Ball.
I noticed it never ate any of the food I gave it (I even bought a different kind of betta food!), which worried me, but I read up about how its just getting used to its new environment. (The only thing it will eat is freeze-dried bloodworms, little brat!).
A couple of days after bringing it home it wasn't really moving anymore, sitting at the bottom of the tank and hardly moving. It was also losing it's beautiful green/blue hue (turning a yellow/brown, grey color), and its fins were clamped close to its body. The fins were also curling a little. A day or so later the fish was just hanging out at the top corner of the tank, still not moving much, and not eating. His black gills are hanging out a little too.
I moved it back to it's little cup I bought him in to treat him. He seemed to be doing better and his water was getting a little gross from the uneaten food, so I changed the water last night (70%). Then tonight, the white spiderweb-like things appeared.

Please help my poor little betta! What is wrong with him?
Attached Images

GoldenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Too much temp change even 3F change is dangerous.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

A new tank needs more frequent water changes as its not cycled. Ammonia will build up which is toxic to the fish which appears to have been the beginning of your problem. A 3g is small volume of water so it needs to have regular weekly water changes if not twice weekly. Personally I'd leave him in the 3g & make sure the water stays pristine. Most, not all, but most ailments can be remedied with good water quality. I suggest you invest in your own liquid water test kit, even with a tank that small. If you're going to keep him in the cup, you need to do daily water changes. I can't see the white lines in the pic. I suspect it all leads back to bad water even though the LPS says its fine. I don't use meds except as an absolute last resort. Others disagree & can advise on what meds they think you should use, me, I'd stop the meds & give it a couple of days of good water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That yellow brown, greyish color is rot. He is not doing so great! Can you get a clearer picture? Where is it exactly... The base, all his fins, etc? Are his fins getting "thinner" in appearance? Is he gasping?

I suggest starting out with daily water changes of at least 50%, and aquarium salt may be useful. Dissolve aquarium salt before adding, and you can add 1-3 teaspoons per gallon (slowly adding over time to avoid shock), and repeat dose after water changes (if you take out 50%, add in half of the amount).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #5 
GoldenLeaf

Thanks for the good advice, I can try to get a home water test.
The white lines are the the glowing white things hanging off his red fins, there are no scratches on the cup (near the fish itself) or things floating in the water. They are hanging off every fin and tail. I can try to edit the picture and circle it if you want.
I'm still really worried about him! I grew so attached to him in the 2 weeks i've had him, i may just return him to the store :(
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Clan water, aquarium salt, and heater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I tried to comment before, yesterday but the site was down ^^ try clean water firstly - aquarium salt can definitely help... and I do agree on a heater. Keeping the temperature at a comfortable 78 definitely helps healing
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #8 
GoldenLeaf

Updated pictures

Thanks guys, yesterday the site wasn't working so I couldn't get the pictures up.

I will try to get a better heater then, my heater keeps the water warm but only around 74-75ish (my room does get cold). I'm going out to buy non iodized salt soon to add (I heard I can use that instead of buying aquarium salt, is this true?). And I always do keep it clean, the water is very clear.

I attached the before and after pictures to this reply. I'm sorry they are not very clear, I do not have any way to get a good shot of the fine web-like material building up on all his fins or the close up details. You can kindof see it hanging off his top fin, all that white hanging off it is not part of his fins. Also, if you can look closely his black gills are poking out a lot.

He seems to be a little better now, his fins aren't clamped as much anymore but that web stuff is building up all over. I do think he is building a small bubble nest though at the surface of the tank, so that behavior makes me think he is perking up a little :).
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

He does look fairly pale, however just do daily water changes and hopefully you should see changes in about a week. Add in some stress coat, and pre-dissolved aquarium salt (not table salt of course) about 1-2 teaspoons to start - it will help his immune system along with help fight any bacteria that creeps up.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 
GoldenLeaf

Hey! I just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for helping me and my Betta out :). My Squishy is almost 100% better thanks to your advice. He is swimming around a lot now, his color is almost all back, and the white spider-web like things hanging off his fins are all gone.

I put him back in my 3g tank, got a new heater, kept changing the water, and added Stress Coat to the tank for the new water. I didn't add any salt though, I never got a chance/forgot to pick that up.

As far as food, he still isn't eating pellets... so I bought him frozen blood worms and he scarfs them down (maybe I should start calling him Piggy :)! But I only feed him 3-4 worms a day). Thanks guys, you're the best <3