Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Cat Nutrition

I just wanted to share this website, it is like the god of proper feline nutrition. xD
Seriously, I really reccomend reading up some of this, very great information.

http://catinfo.org/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 
Laki

Thanks so much!! I'm bookmarking it for now.
My cat eats only holistic dry food and a couple time a week he will get wet food but he doesn't like the ones that aren't packed with fish ingredients. I did some research before when we got him and he eats grain free. There is sweet potato in his food but it's not the main protein source so I don't care about it. I do want to change him to something better like Blue or TotW but money is a big issue where neither of us are working and living solely off student loans. As for water, Oliver has a fountain and he just drinks like half of the compartment each day lol
I appreciate your link, I'll go look. :) :)
What I hate is that my sister just got a kitten and after all I said about holistic she feeds crap. She fed holistic to the dog she fostered, but not her own cat.. -_-
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Thanks so much!! I'm bookmarking it for now.
My cat eats only holistic dry food and a couple time a week he will get wet food but he doesn't like the ones that aren't packed with fish ingredients. I did some research before when we got him and he eats grain free. There is sweet potato in his food but it's not the main protein source so I don't care about it. I do want to change him to something better like Blue or TotW but money is a big issue where neither of us are working and living solely off student loans. As for water, Oliver has a fountain and he just drinks like half of the compartment each day lol
I appreciate your link, I'll go look. :) :)
What I hate is that my sister just got a kitten and after all I said about holistic she feeds crap. She fed holistic to the dog she fostered, but not her own cat.. -_-
Great! :D Yeah one thing I have learned from this resource is the importance of wet food for cats. I used to feed only dry food to my cats but I switched to feeding wet food daily to increase their water intake. I was especially worried because males have the worst problems on an all dry diet, and one of my cats is male.
I used to feed crappy brands like purina and meow mix, but after learning all this info I wont let those brands come close to my cats. I stick to wellness, blue buffalo and innova, and try to get whatever is cheapest with coupons and sales. Its hard feeding high quality foods to two cats when Im a kid and dont have a job. xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #4 
Laki

It's a start. Even though dry seems to be more popularly a bad choice, making a healthier brand choice is better than not. I feed Holistic Blend for cats because it's among the cheaper holistic foods and I can buy it at the grocery stores ( all the pet stores who sell better brands are so far away). I think education is pretty important, and research is key.
I got my cat fountain Cat-it brand at Walmart for 30$. The replacement filters come in a 3 pack for 14$ (But this is risiculous Canadian pricing, I'm sure it's cheaper in the states) and Oliver gets most of his water from that. I offer wet food every few days but he only eats some of it.
My cat is male too (obviously, lol "Oliver") and so I avoid fish in all my foods. I think there's a small amount in the HB but it's not significant.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

We use fish in our food (10 yr senior, 2 yr female, 2 yr male) and they do well, but I find a lot of male cats develope problems with foods that have grains in them. My Mom's cat Mater was on his deathbed twice before I asked my Mom to switch to TotW and he hasn't had a sick day since!

My cats though, what an issue trying to find a food that suits them all. TotW doesn't work for my senior, Blue doesn't work for the young female, Felidae doesn't work for the young male. All the others didn't work at all except Go! Natural's but that is really really expensive here ($60+ a month for the cats). What I did end up trying was a bag of Special Kitty Cuisine, yes WalMart brand. But when I mixed it in to their Felidae, the cats all started gaining weight, litter box was better, fur was nicer, cats were happier... so we switch to it and the cats have been doing amazing. Anyone who knows me knows I am all about the best food for animals, but I am starting to think a food that agrees with them is better than a food that is good for them but makes them sick. After all my senior was fed Sobey's brand for 6 years and the two young ones were strays... the Special Kitty Cuisine is much much better than those two haha Our feral's outside eat Lifestyles.

Thanks for the info!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 
Laki

It does come down to personal cats. I agree with you. I watched Marketplace or 20/20 or something about pet food and the scam that is to buy the most expensive. That is not always the case for all cats. And god knows my aunt's cat who died at about age 20 only ever ate the cheapest brands out there.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

If I had the resources here, I'd just make my own for them lol I'd need an industrial sized oven though!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 
Laki

Can you imagine the smell!! lol
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 
TheCrabbyTabby

Honestly, and this is the truth, a cat's digestive system is meant to handle meat almost exclusively. Sure they do nibble on grass occasionally, but that is a mechanism they have to combat digestive upset. Its like a human taking Pepto Bismal.

Nowhere is there a means to handle grains. Grains only cause allergies, digestive problems and urinary tract problems. Only buy a cat food that has quality meat as their first ingredient. No bi-products, no meal, just simple and plain beef, chicken, or fish pieces included.

Be aware that anything sold in a grocery store is usually low quality and has corn listed as one of the first ingredients, if not the first. Corn is primary used as a filler, so the food is less expensive to make. Also be aware that corn is also the cause of a lot of health issues in animals. Its high in sugar and low in nutrients. Its a grain, plain and simple and a low quality grain at that. Also be aware that the corn put into a cat or dog food is not processed and therefore has a high probability to contain chemicals and such (as was the source of the huge pet food recall of some odd years back, they, meaning China, had used unprocessed filler ie. corn and such, which contained a chemical that, when ingested, caused severe illness, sezuires, and even death in dogs and cats).

The best diet for a cat is one that is high in animal protein, or meat. A cat NEEDS animal protein to function properly. No ifs ands or buts about it. Its how the evolved, its how they are. Don't go trying to change that.

I recommend Blue Wilderness, or anything with the Blue label. Also, Wellness, or any high quality holistic food is a good brand. Just make sure there is no corn or grains in the food. No canine or feline diet with grain is very nutritious.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #10 
ThePearlFish

Both my cats are on high quality diets as well. I feed them Felidae Platinum (the senior version, even though they are both only a few years old) and Soulistic wet food from Petco. My girl cat prefers snacking the dry, but on occasion will grab some wet before the boy gobbles it all up (he prefers the wet, but will occasionally snack on the dry). So, it works out in the end. :)

My BF still doesn't understand why we can't get cheaper food for them like Friskies or Fancy Feast. He doesn't understand no matter how many times I tell him that in the long run we save money, because fillers make an animal hungrier and you need to feed them more to get the nutritional value out of them. That, and that they are not as healthy in the first place. My animals are my babies and I am not gonna just give them anything just because they are an animal and it is cheaper...:/

BTW, I COMPLETELY understand cats being finicky eaters and if all someone can get them to eat is a cheaper brand of food, I understand, no judgement from me. :) I don't want anyone to think that I think badly of them for feeding a non-holistic brand to their cat if that is all the cat will eat or has a medical condition which forces them to eat only certain foods. :)
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote