Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Chronic fin rot...

Dealing with some chronic fin rot on my rescue...I posted the other day but only got one reply which rather scolded me & didnt help aid me in further action...I thought I might try again. I know a lot of people post about fin rot on here and there is a sticky for it...

My rescue lo ling came here about a month ago looking pretty pathetic but its not the worst case. When I first introduced him to his tank (which has had all th appropriate water changes, filtration and heat) I noticed pieces of his tail would drop off or shed. I started treating with 50% water changes every other day with stress coat and some mild AQ salt, like 4 granuals. I did that for about a week. His tail stopped shedding and grew back in nicely as did his color. Ive placed a few granuals of AQ salt in every so often simply because hes prone to rot. Now I think I may have caused some salt resistant rot bacteria. About 3 days ago I noticed some chunks missing and fraying on the tips. Ive been doing the 1 tbsp of salt daily with a 50% water change, today is day 6, we still have rot eating the fins. Its slowed down with the salt but this time it wont go away.

Is it time to medicate? Or should I simply continue on with the AQ salt treatment for the full 10 days before switching over. If the rot continues to get drastically worse ill switch before the 10 days is over but if it remains this slow I understand the salt is much better than meds.

He also has an IAL leave in his tank.
I test and all readings are fine as the tank isnt cycled and im constantly changing the water

The meds I have are coppersafe, melafix and premafix (I know the fix's are no good but just wanted to mention I have them incase), jungle fungus fizz tabs, AQ salt, maracyn and I should have some tetracyline and maracyn 2 on the way in the mail that I ordered a few days ago.

Any thoughts?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 
iceyrose

Unhappy good luck

First off good luck..aggressive fin rot is overwhelming to cope with...i as well have a special guy who is dealing with aggressive fin rot its truly heart breaking. It's been going on for a month or so now. i whent thur all the correct processes as well...keeping up with water changes..adding api stress coat numerous api aquarium salt treatments. I even removed his tank stones & accessories. tryed an antibiotic called fran2 thats suppose to cover a range of differnt ailments...including fin rot...i am also interested in finding some answers.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
iceyrose

Also i am finding the api aquarium salt sets the ph off...hours after the salt has been added. I keep the tank @ 82f with a filter system since its a 5 gallon tank. Any advise would be welcomed.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
My first betta, also a rescue had this problem. The jungle fizz tabs are what I used along with bringing the tank temp up to 82 degrees Fahrenheit to increase his metabolism and immune system. After a full 24 hours following the fizz tab, use the stress coat.

If your guy is especially prone, keeping your tank temp on the warmer side will help a lot when you are dealing with a case of chronic.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

My betta also has chronic fin rot. He's had it for about a month and I've tried both salt and meds. I finally realized that my tap water has 1ppm ammonia so when I did large daily water changes, the ammonia actually got much worse. Test your tap water to make sure that it doesn't have ammonia. If it does, that could be why your betta is having trouble recovering even with treatment.
Here's what I suggest to do if your tap water has ammonia. Do 100% water change on your tank and add something like prime to neutralize the ammonia for about 24 hours. Then, add ammo chips right away which will remove the ammonia before it converts back. The reason you have to do 100% water change is that ammo chips don't work if there's any salt in the water. Once you have the ammonia under control (it should take about 24 hours), you can add meds. I'm using Triple Sulfa for my betta because it worked well on him before.
I know meds can be hard on bettas, but in severe or chronic cases like this, they are often necessary. I hope your betta gets better soon!
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

Thank you all for your replies...they were helpful and appreciated. Its such a shame too, he has such an up beat happy personality...he really is a joy...figures this would plague him :/
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote