Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 
Opioid Slumber

Danger with Terra Cotta Pots! Please Read!

Last night I gave our bettas dinner and noticed that one of them didn't come out to eat after a few minutes. I started looking around his tank and spotted him inside his terra cotta pot, but he didn't seem to be moving. So I moved aside some leaves obscuring his pot and saw the most horrid thing. Our Atilla had been exploring and tried to go through the small hole in the bottom of his pot, but he was too big and the poor baby had gotten stuck halfway through and died. It was so terrible. My fiancee Homegrown terror heard me saying "oh god" over and over and came to see what was wrong. As Tilly was his favorite betta I tried everything to get him to stay away and not look because it was so pitiful. He looked anyway and I just started crying so hard and couldn't stop. All I could think of was how terrible and scary it must have been for Tilly when he realized he couldn't get out, and how awful it was for him to be stuck there, suffocating.

After this, homegrown put baffle sponges in all of our tanks to make sure nothing like that ever happens again.

Poor Atilla, he was gigantic and beautiful and such an explorer... We will miss you so much Tilly.
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
hotrodprincess

I am so sorry to hear about him. I started to get a terra cotta pot the other day but I was worried about our little guy getting stuck in the drain hole.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I always use a butter knife and a hammer and slowly tap the bottom of the pots to make the hole much much bigger, and then use sandpaper to sand down the edges so they won't hurt the fishes :( Thankfully, when I started using them someone on here warned of the small holes and to either plug them with silicone (takes 48h) or take the bottoms out all together. Sorry to hear about your boy :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 
registereduser

I have seen this problem on the forum before sorry
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 
bamsuddenimpact

I stick rocks in the holes to remove the temptation.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
DragonFish

I'm so, so sorry about Tilly. :( Poor little guy......he was adorable.

I've used these pots for years with thankfully no problems when I didn't plug up the holes, but now what I do is stuff some filter sponge into the hole anyway, just to make sure. A quick and easy fix that works wonders.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

yeah, we plugged every pot in our house with Fluval filter sponges last night...it was just so horrifying, i miss my Tilly immensely. he really defined the word "majestic." he was a DS DTHMPK, but he was so big that petco mislabeled him as a King. he had so much personality and was one of the most inquisitive fish we've ever brought home. he will be missed :(
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 
Friendlyfishies

Sorry for your loss :( I saw a post about it when it first joined and first got back into bettas, I guess I was lucky because I never would have thought about it. Sharing what happened will help teach others. I use filter sponge rolled up and stuffed into the holes. Not only will it stop them but its nice and soft too.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9 
sarahspins

This is one reason I decided not to put them in my betta tanks... I have them in my shrimp tanks, but the shrimp can all easily fit through those holes.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #10 
tpocicat

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've glued mine shut with aquarium safe silicone.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote