betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #11 
BettaGirl228

Beautiful fish!!!!
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #12 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I usually buy from a local aquarium store. My newest one is from petmart.

I did make this mistake with the first betta I ever owned and poor little guy had chronic fin rot. I managed to get it mostly under control after the first few weeks, but he was forever a bit fragile after. Never had that problem with any other betta after that, only the walmart one.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #13 
BettaGirl228

Your fish looks like my boy named Sooner I call him sooner because hes ou sooner red. I have another one that the color of a peacock with the green and blue hes beautiful. then my baby her name is Sidney she is getting a bit of color to her some green her fins are thin also not as big as a males i say shes female because she has that little dot on her belly who knows. She has grown since i got her and that was last sunday so ive only had them for a week and they are doing GREAT idk how old she is im saying maybe a month or so idk. Sooner had made himself a bubble nest at the top of his tank and he lays under it and sleeps lol its a weird fish and hes very active all three of my babies are active and they thrive nigght and day i guess thats a good sign meaning they're healthy. Every Morniing all three of them great me they know its feeding time but anyways im done rambling lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #14 
sainthogan

It also depends on which wal-mart you go to. The one I worked for had someone very knowledgeable working in the pet department. He managed to convince the manager that the fish there needed caring for if people were going to buy them. Plus, he was an avid betta keeper himself, so he knew what he was talking about.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #15 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl228 View Post
her fins are thin also not as big as a males i say shes female because she has that little dot on her belly who knows. She has grown since i got her and that was last sunday so ive only had them for a week and they are doing GREAT idk how old she is im saying maybe a month or so idk.
Females will have shorter tails (the variants of plakat males have short fins as well), but you mentioned the egg spot which at the age they are sold, should be gone in most males that have them. Fish sold in stores tend to be around 3-6 months of age :) A month old is around .45 inches.. less than half an inch long :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #16 
BettaGirl228

So your saying she's Female im not certain.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #17 
crowntaillove

I will never buy a betta from walmart. They show no care what so ever towards them. It's like they get a shipment in, and either people buy them, or they die. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even feed them. My local Petco does seem to provide slightly better care, but I do see a lot of dead ones on the shelf, and most are sick. My petsmart seems to take care of their bettas, and that's why they get my business.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #18 
PinkGuava

Those betta breeders need to see what is happening and stop being greedy about money and start selling them to pet stores that actually provide care.
PinkGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #19 
VanBoy

I think they're actually stepping up and doing something about it. They have doubled the size of the cups that the betta are in. the air hole is really big now too. Just look at their cups compared to the cups from from my lps.
Left is from my lps and right is from Walmart.

I bought my orange betta, Flash, from Walmart and he was super healthy and still alive. But they still need to do water changes and feed the fish though. Making the cups bigger isn't enough. I think.
VanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #20 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBoy View Post
I think they're actually stepping up and doing something about it. They have doubled the size of the cups that the betta are in. the air hole is really big now too. Just look at their cups compared to the cups from from my lps.
Left is from my lps and right is from Walmart.

I bought my orange betta, Flash, from Walmart and he was super healthy and still alive. But they still need to do water changes and feed the fish though. Making the cups bigger isn't enough. I think.
Just wait until the bettas jump out of that hole though. Mine jumped through a hole much smaller than that.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote