Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #41 
Sena Hansler

That's a good idea.. I've had a male not wanting to make a nest, and the female refused until a nest was made. I "borrowed" another male's nest, then the pair built upon the nest together just gotta get creative sometimes :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #42 
Creat

I keep trying but so far no luck I am reconditioning another pair this time for longer the males keep having the snot beaten out of them :/ Never had that problem before.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #43 
checkerzelda

Your female is one macho lady. xD;

I have tried spawning bettas in small basins before (one food tray converted to a betta pan, and the other in a 1.5g mini glass tank). Out of approx 4 times, I have had 2 successes. I figured that regardless the size of the breeding tank, the chance of success still depends on the readiness of the pair..how much they wriggle-dance at each other, vertical stripes, eggy-ness and the male's enthusiasm at bubblenesting. I think it is just that in a small environment, it happens faster if the conditions are right, but you also need to monitor them more closely and quickly pull out the female at the earliest sign of trouble. Both times I had IAL and plants for shelter. I almost lost my red dragon HM girl once because she tried to commit suicide by jumping off the basin onto the floor. I didn't know she was so desperate to get out of there, haha. Thank god my mum found her alive in the morning. x_X

Plus, even if the spawn is successful, you'd still worry about having to transfer the fragile babies into a larger tank when they become free swimming, risking temperature/chemical shock and all. But you would have to do it soon anyway, otherwise you risk an ammonia spike in such small volume of water..that was the dilemma I faced when I first encountered it.

TBH, I find this method a hassle, and I won't do it if my 10g wasn't occupied already..

All the best in your next attempt~
checkerzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

My male was ready before the female. She was a macho one for sure but he was a bit more persistent and finally she did a dance for him :)

You're not having much luck!! Maybe change something? Do you add IAL? Try some teak leaves to condition the male - strengthen the scales.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #45 
Creat

They had ial in the tank the little jerks the only pair I have that is close to ready is my vt one might just go ahead and try him he is rather lusty and so is the girl I am ready to pair him with.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #46 
megaredize

his methods may be fine im not doubting that but like Legendary said he is annoying as **** lol cant even say it. i absolutely cant stand him. he cant even take positive criticism from people ive seen him completely blast people out and it was uncalled for. i would never watch his videos. dont want to support him plus he doesnt care about anything or anyone since hes "the best breeder EVER" which is funny i dont think anyone can claim that title. there will always be someone better or a better method, might not even be thought of yet.... bah enough with him hes not even worth my words... :)
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #47 
ShowMeBettas

He is getting exactly what he wants. :-)

Negative attention is still attention.

In fact, the way the world works today, sometimes negative attention will get someone more than anything else would.

Heavy Sigh.

I take his attitude with a grain of salt. I thought his logic about plastic made perfect sense so I'm using plastic for the two spawns I have going now although I'm not using buckets because they don't fit where I wanted to spawn.

What amazed me about his methods is that some of what he does made such perfect sense yet it's so different from what I had learned.
ShowMeBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #48 
Sena Hansler

Well, try the VT he may be pushy enough for one of the ladies :) mine usually were.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #49 
Creat

Dont know what it is about vt I feel like they are more desperate to breed lol :)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #50 
logisticsguy

I think its true. My Vt male builds bubble nests like a madman. Some of my HM boys seem lazy by comparison. My VT girl gets vertical stripes at the sight of a male while the HMs need a little time to warm up.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote