Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Is this a good plan for treating Comet's fin rot?

My betta Comet has had fin rot for over a month now. I've tried salt and 2 different meds, but they didn't work because of the high levels of ammonia in his cage at all times. The tank was uncycled and my tap had 1ppm ammonia so it was very difficult to get rid of the ammonia. I finally got my cycled filter from another tank so now there is 0 ammonia in his water so I can begin treating again.
I want something to wipe out my betta's fin rot fast. I treated him before with Triple Sulfa and I though I noticed some improvement though the rot came back when the treatment ended. I'm thinking about using the Triple Sulfa again, but this time it should work since the water quality is better. After I finish the triple sulfa, I will do a 50% water change and put some stress coat and bettafix in for a few days to make sure his fins don't get reinfected. Then I will move him into his new home in my 20 gallon.
So, what do you think of my treatment plan? I could try salt, but I really want to wipe out the fin rot with something powerful. Would salt really be that much easier on him then meds? If it's a big difference then I will use salt, but he seemed fine the last 2 times I used meds. Also, will the carbon in my filter remove the medicine? It's been used for about 2 months so I think it's deactivated now. If you have a better treatment plan, please suggest it! Thanks
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First clean water but a twenty is way too small for comments clean water is the best treatment.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

P.S. You need a 75 gallon with double filtration.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 
SkittleMaster

I'm sorry to bother anybody but I need help with my Betta & I don't know how to ask a question..
SkittleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Click theBetta and betta fish care in top and click any category then there is a button that says create thread.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 
SkittleMaster

Thank you muchly :)
SkittleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 
megaredize

that is a good question. keeping water super clean is the first part to get rid of fin rot. one of my fish has it to and i have never had to treat for it. so im using salt because i dont have any other medicine right now. I'm doing daily water changes and hope that works. but if it doesnt get better than i will switch to a medication. if your going to use the triple sulfa i would get rid of that carbon even if it is old. plus old carbon isnt good for tanks it can actually leach back the impurities it originally absorbed back into the water. Carbon needs to be changed every 30 days. Some people dont use carbon at all because of this.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 
Leopardfire

So how often should I change the water in a 10 gallon cycled tank? I want it to be super clean so should I do a 20% every other day? Also, my filter pads come with carbon in them, so I can't really take it out. I don't want to change the pad because then I will lose my cycle and I just got over my ammonia problems in all my tanks. Will it be okay if I leave the cartridge in until my betta is better and can move into the 20 gallon?

Quote:
a twenty is way too small for comments
also, I'm talking about a betta named Comet to the goldfish. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 
megaredize

ok well I would do either 50% every other day or 20 a day so keep it really clean. I also watched a video where the person cut open their filter pads to take out the carbon but kept the floss. you can do that if you really want. is it like the tetra filter pads? those would be easy to remove the carbon. that is one of the reasons i switched filters i hated the tetra filter with the carbon pads.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #10 
Leopardfire

I'll start doing 20% every day. The filter is a TopFin power filter. Is it possible to remove carbon from that? Also, should I use meds now or see if the clean water is enough. I want it to go away fast.

Tags
fin rot, plan, treatment, triple sulfa