Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 
DragonFyre14

how to add new heater

So the other day, I bought a betta for my 2.5 gallon tank. In a day or two I will be getting a heater for the tank. And, since the only heaters small enough for my tank, (that I can find) is not adjustable.
So, how should I go about adding the new heater, considering I already have a betta in there?
Will he be safe if I just add it to the tank?
I would prefer not to move him back into his cup from the store for very long. I do have a breeding tank in my 29 gallon that I guess I COULD put him in.... Would that be safe?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #2 
registereduser

There will be directions on the heater box.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 
DragonFyre14

Haha I guess I didn't even think about that. It's just that the heater for my 29 gallon said something about adding without fish so that the uneven fluctuations in temperature doesn't harm the fish.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 
registereduser

Maybe because it was adjustable and they wanted it to be a stable temp first? IDK

I just put the heater in and plugged it in
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
birdielikestomatoes

I'd float him in the 29g while you place the heater in his tank. You'll want to follow the directions on the box and make sure that the temperature is stable before putting your betta back in his home.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 
registereduser

Definitely remove him if you are worried. A small heater won't get super warm like a big adjustable one.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 
bamsuddenimpact

Look at Elite 25W heater on Amazon. Around 8$, used them in all my 2-3 gallon tanks. Worked beautifully. Just upgraded to the 50W cuz I got a 5 gallon, and although the 25W is for up to 5.5 gallons, In my house it gets too cold to be in my bettas comfort range. Hope this helps :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
DragonFyre14

I think, I will just end up putting him back in his cup for a little bit, so I can add the heater and clean the excess food out of the gravel. From what I've read so far, It doesn't sound like it will be much of a problem to add the heater.
Even though it's getting colder outside, the tank still stays around (rough guess based on a tank of the same size with a thermometer) 72 F or so.
I think a 7.5 w (which is what i'm planning on getting) should be of adequate size. Betta's need a temp from 76-80F right?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #9 
sareena79

maybe its just me but I think u should have the fish in there before u add the heater b/c then he can gradually acclimate to the heat as it increases. if u have him in a cup on the counter hes gonna be at or below room temp then when u add him to the heated tank its gonna shock his little system...forgive me if I misunderstood the question/comments though
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #10 
DragonFyre14

I agree. And I do intend to drip acclimate him back to into the tank after The water change and filter is added. Just to be safe. :) I'm really only taking him out long enough to get the heater in (I'm pretty sure putting it in will stir up food and stuff that had fallen to the bottom. and would like to get that out before he goes back in.)