Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
BlueJWebb

Fin Rot?

Hi all. I have a question about my Betta's fins. Since I've had him his fins have always looked terrible due to a number of issues (severely clamped fins, which started it, tearing because they are extremely delicate & nose diving out of his tank on to the floor which caused a lot of damage). For a little back info here's the original thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113465

Anyway, a few days ago a chunk of his fin went missing. I was guessing tail biting due to stress so I moved him to a 2.5 gal tank and it seemed to be healing. Tonight I came home and his anal fin looked like it had gotten shredded and he has some strings hanging from it. I'm not sure if maybe he scraped it on an air stone that was in his tank or if it's fin rot. If it is fin rot I really don't think I can use aquarium salt because it has caused bloat in him in the past (he is a special needs fish with swim bladder issues). He's currently in an epsom salt mixture to treat his swim bladder issue. There's no ammonia in his tank. I test regularly and have been doing daily 50% water changes & once weekly I do a 100% water change.
Attached Images

BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #2 
BlueJWebb

I should note that they clear edges on the caudal fin is regrowth from the tail biting.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
BlueJWebb

Ah and there is also stress coat in his water. Sorry for the repeat posting
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 
JerryBerrie

It looks like fin rot, with the black edges too. You should buy some good medicine for him, and when he heals, he'll look beautiful :)
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #5 
JerryBerrie

Err, brown-red edges :P
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 
BlueJWebb

Oh I was so hoping it wasn't fin rot. I am currently treating for constipation too. How would medicine work with epsom salt? And what medicine should I get?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
JerryBerrie

Well, im using Melafix, but only get melafix if you absolutely cannot find any other medicine, its said to hurt a bettas labyrinth organ, which affects their breathing. Try going to a Petco, Petsmart, or online to buy a good medicine. I'm also using the AQ salt, at least 3 times a week, or a pinch here and there. When i got my first one, i started researching about his torn fins and realized it was fin rot. It got me sad, but it's treatable :). And for the constipation, I think just wait to feed him for a while, and I've heard you can feed your fish a boiled skinned pea o.O.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #8 
BlueJWebb

I have melafix but I wont use it on him. I did once and I am pretty sure it contributed to all of the problems he seems to be having now. I also cannot use aquarium salt because it causes bloat in him when he eats. I know because I tried it when he first bit his fin off and when I fed him he bloated right up. Aquarium salt causes the fish to retain water. The only way I'd use aquarium salt is if OFL said it was ok.

Epsom salt is fine for his constipation and it always works. You should never feed your betta a skinned pea. It's not good for them. Daphnia is what you should feed a constipated betta.

I wont medicate him unless it's absolutely necessary. He's extremely sensitive to everything & when I didn't know anything about bettas I threw a few medications in his bowl and only changed his water once a week. Since then he seems to have chronic problems with constipation and his swim bladder. Now that I know better he gets regular water changes & I test his water, the best food you can buy, and no unnecessary medicating. His fins don't look any worse today and they have always had the dark blue-red edges. The red on the caudal fin is definitely regrowth. I have been monitoring that closely.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #9 
BlueJWebb

I didn't mean to sound rude, btw. I'm also not saying it's not fin rot. It could be. I just need to be sure before I put any meds in his water.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

BlueJ it clearly tail biting. Those u shape marks look like a bettas teethmarks. One of my fish does it.
The epsom salt that you are using will also help to prevent infections. I would say do 2-50% water changes and 1-100% water change a week.
A lot of bettas bite their fins and it really not a lot you can do. Add more hiding places,some people say ''toys'' such a bottle cap lid, or ping pong ball....clean water, good food.

I am really don't recommend to use melafix ever. Like i wrote epsom salt antibacterial/fungal.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote