Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

hmmm tail biting

I think im finally commiting to the theory that Pho Phan is tail biting :( He was having some rot issues but hes been in treatment for 10 days which he finishes tomorrow and seems theres no more fin rot if there was any to begin with..but now I see some blunt edged on his fins...starting to look more like tail biting...I havent caught him yet though. Hes not a stressed fish, it started in the 6.6 gal and hes still did it when he moved to the 3 gal and now hes still doing it in his hospital tank 1.5-2g. Everythings heated, all water prams are fine and water changes et. He also has IAL leaves.

What causes tail biting and what could I do to stop this behavior? Is it a matter of exploring what might work for him?

I am setting up a 2.5 gallon tank for him this coming week that will be heavily planted, moss mats on the floor of the tank, anubias, javas et...I may also get him a shrimp to relieve some bordom once everything is set up and hes settled in.

Any advice for dealing with tail biting?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

That's tough. Do you have a hiding spot for him in his tank? Even a coffee cup on its side will work.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I dont right now in the hospital tank but he did have a hidy house prior to the hospital tank, he loved his hidy house but still had tail issues...That hidy house is no longer in business though because it was tearing his dorsal fin...im setting up 2.5 gals this week for them and im hoping to use a terracotta pot as hidy houses :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Terra cotta pots are nice. Just make sure if you are using a regular one on its side that the drainage hole is either big enough for your fish not to get stuck or block it up with a cork.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote