Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #31 
BlueJWebb

Oh for the fin split...it goes right up to his body...I read somewhere that I would need to glue/suture it in order for it to heal. Please tell me this isn't true! There is no way I can do that.
BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #32 
Leopardfire

I've never heard of having to suture the fin before, but I don't really know. I would try using the meds and see if it heals on its own. There's a good chance it will grow back once the fin rot is cured. Also, what meds did you get?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #33 
BlueJWebb

I got him API Triple Sulfa. To give him the proper dosage I poured the powder into a dish and put 10 1/2 tsp of water and mixed it until it was dissolved. Then I just put 1/2 tsp of the water in each gallon jug of water I put in his tank. That's the only way I could figure out to accurately dose him.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #34 
Leopardfire

That's a smart way of doing it. I couldn't figure out how to do lower doses so I had to move my betta into a 10 gallon haha
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #35 
sunlight

can you post new picture? You wrote fins whitish, is it white like cottony , fuzzy stuff on it or it more transparent clear ends? I just surprised with those water changes and epsom salt i though he would get better. Unless he bit his fins again? Usually with tail biting it should heal slowly though.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #36 
BlueJWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
can you post new picture? You wrote fins whitish, is it white like cottony , fuzzy stuff on it or it more transparent clear ends? I just surprised with those water changes and epsom salt i though he would get better. Unless he bit his fins again? Usually with tail biting it should heal slowly though.
Yes, I will get a picture tonight. It didn't seem cottony or fuzzy, he has/had transparent patches near the tops & on the tips of his anal fin. His other fins don't appear to be affected. His caudal fin actually has regrowth that is starting to get color.

Oh and I cupped him this morning. He was swimming fine last night so I gave him 1 of a new spectrum life small fish pellet. Well, within a couple of hours he was floating. Not bloated, just floating. He's also in an epsom salt/almond leaf treatment (and the fin rot meds). This morning I caught him trying to wedge himself up in under the heater so I decided it's just better to keep him in a cup (again, poor thing).

A couple of weeks ago he took a nose dive out of his cup and onto the floor (was being treated for bloat/constipation at that time). I'm wondering if the fall permanently damaged his swim bladder. Every time he eats, no matter how little it is, he starts to float. But he doesn't seem to swell & he is going poo. There was a couple of poos in his tank last night when I cleaned it. And they are nice healthy dark brown poos.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #37 
ANHEL123

good. It just i am not sure if it was good idea to start meds since his fins grow back. And when you see transparent it means –regrowth. So post a picture so we can see.
And i would text Sakura8 just to ask if you can stop medications OR continue. Not sure because once you started it then you need to finish it. But i don't like to medicate them. I think it stressing him out. So if you can post picture.
I have problem with computer so not sure when is next time i will be on the forum. So if you can post a picture and if his fins look good and there is regrowth i would ask Sakura8 if you can stop meds. Don't do it on your own though.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #38 
BlueJWebb

Ok, but the only regrowth is on his caudal fin. On his anal fin it was definitely damage of some sort. The fin was much shorter and more frayed with white transparent patches toward the tips and on the tips. It didn't look like a clean bite/tear. The giant split in his fin too, how could that have possibly happened? This is so frustrating. I've had him since July and he's always had some sort of issue :(
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #39 
ANHEL123

I just texted Sakura to look at your post ,not sure when she can do it. But if you thing that fins more frayed then medication ok . If it clear transparent though, it can be just regrowth. Is there black edges? Picture will help. You doing good job with his swim bladder problem. Sorry about tail biting but it happen a lot. But like i say it usually will heal on it own with good water quality. So not sure how his fins look now but since you using epsom salt which is also antibacterial it should help his fins. Not sure about that tear. Do you have plastic plant that he could damage them?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #40 
BlueJWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I just texted Sakura to look at your post ,not sure when she can do it. But if you thing that fins more frayed then medication ok . If it clear transparent though, it can be just regrowth. Is there black edges? Picture will help. You doing good job with his swim bladder problem. Sorry about tail biting but it happen a lot. But like i say it usually will heal on it own with good water quality. So not sure how his fins look now but since you using epsom salt which is also antibacterial it should help his fins. Not sure about that tear. Do you have plastic plant that he could damage them?
No, I don't even have silk plants because those damage his fins too. I have a terracotta pot with tank sealant covering the hole and I have a silicone Sea Anemone& pieces of indian almond leaves. The only thing I could even think of that might be the cause is him swimming behind the heater. Maybe his fins are getting damaged by the plastic some how...but the only plastic on it that could hurt him would be the cap that goes over the heating element. But even that may be a stretch. He has some of those flat aquarium marbles but I took them out so I could see his poo. Maybe rubbing against the IAL? What does stress him is when he floats and he wants to be down exploring. He likes to eat the air bubbles after a water change.