Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

crazy ph!?

Ok so you know how ive been talking about my ph running about 8.2 in the betta tanks?...I got some PH down today and before putting it in the tanks I tested my faucet water (we have a country artesian well) and it was at the highest it could possibly be 8.8! I bet its actually higher too, thats just as high as the test went. When I added two drops of PH down to my test tube with the faucet water it read 7.8 (orange)...

I tested my betta water again and its still 8.2 as it was the other day so maybe the water conditioner or IAL has been bringing it down. I added 1 drop of PH down to the tanks and it made it 8.0 (brown). I dont want to add 2 drops and shock them so I need help with dosing...

I do 50% water changes a day on my 1.5 gal betta bowls which will be changing to a 50% water change every other day after Sat.
How much do I dose and how often? Would I do it every water change? Or will I just need to play around with dosing? Im worried because I dont want to make them sick by dropping too much of it too fast or dropping too much of it by over dosing the tanks...also will lowering the PH alter anything else in the tanks...all tanks read 0 ammonia.

Im still in shock about the tap Ph lol ...thank goodness my tanks werent that high!

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 10-16-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

My well water from the tap is 8.8 pH and over 300 KH/GH...I call it liquid rock...I don't do anything to it and all my fish are fine-even my soft water species that I do have to change the hardness to spawn them-but not to keep them. I never change it for any of my Bettas

What is your KH/GH-adding the pH down product will only be a short term solution. Your pH is going to rebound-usually within 24 hours or less and this is harder on the fish.

How are your Betta doing in your source water-unless they are having problems...I would leave the pH alone....they will adapt....

If they are having problems in the high pH water-I would do a R/O water mixed 50/50 with your source water. Any larger/sudden chemistry changes can be hard if not fatal on fish. Replacement water chemistry need to be the same as the tank water chemistry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 
Kenny G

+1 with OFL
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 
laynisample

My water is extremely hard. Off the charts on hardness and my ph is around 8.2 My fish are all perfectly fine. I find it's better to do less chemicals. All three of my fish have adapted really well.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #5 
LizzyP

+1 to all. My water is like OFL's. I basically live on a rock (I'm serious, we have large pieces sticking out of the ground, it's really hard to dig pools and foundations and such here) so the water is like that too. I've had long finned males and their tails curled (somewhat) but they do fine :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

thanks everyone...I too live on rock, we're on a mountain with glacier boulders everywhere lol. Never thought about it with Ph but now it makes sense. I did my water changes tonight and did not add any ph down...where I only added a drop yesterday im hoping they will all be okay with the change. Glad I was cautious and didnt go with the 2 drops lol...that would have much harder to go back from. I placed an order for some driftwood today...im hoping I can sand down any sharp edges and will continue the IAL leaves. OFL, do you think high Ph could have been adding to my fin issues? Can High Ph cause fin rot? now im curious lol. I wonder if I lower my Ph my issues may subside? Funny these fish are and all the finer details that go along with them =P
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Hard water-not high pH per se can cause some more delicate long fin males problems-especially the CT's-and the VT and HM can sometimes have curling tip problems with hard water-usually with hard water you will see a higher pH-but the fin issues are more related to the hard water.

Betta will adapt to their source water and its even been said that the harder water has help them become a bit tougher and resistant to some health issues and parasites. I think it was Mark Denaro that was talking about that on a Pod-cast a few years back "Sounds Fishy to Me" anyway....

Water quality and good nutrition are more important in keeping the fins intact and free of a secondary infection.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote