Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #1 
Blacklight

How to feed my Bettas with flakes

My wife feeds the bettas fish flakes twice a day. The package says to give them as much as they can eat in two minutes. Now these bettas are RAVENOUS usually and totally go to town on these things. I"m concerned that my wife may be overfeeding them and I don't want them to get bloat. Is there a concise way to feed them flakes to minimize this risk?
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #2 
speeddemonbk

Don't follow the directions you'll end up with a bloated unhappy fish. If they are big flakes one or two is good. If they are smaller flakes, just give them max 3-4. You'll know if it's too much because your fish's belly will get distended. If this happens try less food and give it some sweat pants lol. If it is majorly bloated, wait a day to feed it again so it's digestive track can clear out the excess wastes from eating too much.
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #3 
fleetfish

If you're concerned about the amount of flake fed, you should try feeding with pellets instead. Flakes tend to cloud and dirty up the water more frequently - meaning more water changes and cleaning - than pellets and you only need to feed three to six pellets to your betta each day. A few excellent pellet brands are Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 
sainthogan

I use flakes because my fish won't eat pellets. I take a small pinch and crunch it up a little, then put a tiny bit in. I let her eat that, then I put a tiny bit more in, and repeat if needed. I feed her twice a day and usually it's as much as she can eat in about 45 seconds to a minute, if I feed her for longer than that, she gets a big belly. It all really depends on your fish - their stomachs are only about as big as their eyeball, so they really don't need much. But of course, they will try to make you think they are starving every time you approach the tank.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
Blacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
But of course, they will try to make you think they are starving every time you approach the tank.
My female is like that. Our male doesn't eat much. He seems to care less half the time. He's quite active, so I don't think he's sick, but he eats about half as much as the female does.

Anyway, they're getting flakes till we can afford to go buy some pellet food (Things are REALLY TIGHT budget weise right now and a trip to the pet store is NOT on the agenda at the moment).
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote