Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Bad morning, Lots of crying.

So... 3 days ago I posted another thread here saying that my fish was a little bloated with slightly raised scales. He was still swimming around without any problem but wasn't eating a lot. I kept him in clean and warm water just as you guys told me and to fast him a little to help the bloat go away because I had no idea what to do, yesterday he seemed to be doing a little better and he had built a small bubble nest.
So when I woke up this morning I ran to my tank, opened the light and there he was, floating on his side, lifeless.
I started crying because Admiral Apocalypse was my favorite betta, I've had him for a year and he had never been sick and in 4 days... BAM, dead.

I you have any idea what could have caused it, I would appreciate your input, I'm not having a very nice morning but I'd like to know what could have caused this. I don't feel bad about what I did... I feel like I did what I could to save him but damn this is sudden....

Thanks to everytone who commented on my other thread and tried to help me, again I appreciate it.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I believe pine coning is a symptom of internal problems. and internal problems could have built up since... goodness knows when. and especially since it's inside we dont get a gist of it how bad it is until it becomes bad enough to allow the fish to exhibit external symptoms. It could have been a longer term health issue. for example he had an internal tumor, that finally got big enough to interfere with hia organ functions etcetc. with a the inbreeding these day from betta to betta. There's got to be some messed up genes somewhere and the poor fish are simply victims to the bad breeding practices.

Last edited by ao; 10-17-2012 at 09:28 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 
Gen2387

Thank you for your answer, it makes me feel a little better because maybe it was something that I couldn't do anything about. I can still see him just floating, I only hope he didn't suffer too much. Poor baby.

I sanitized my aquarium and everything in it with a solution of bleach and water. I rinsed and now I'm letting everything air dry so I can rinse it again after to make sure that there is absolutly no bleach left. I'm throwing away the gravel just in case. I'm probably going to transfer Winchester my DT in my 3 gallons into the 5 gallons that Admiral was in so I want everything to be extra clean.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
laynisample

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was commenting on your last thread trying to help you figure out, but realistically, as soon as the pineconing starts happening there's nothing you can do. It seems like you gave him the best home possible.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Thank you for your answer, it makes me feel a little better because maybe it was something that I couldn't do anything about. I can still see him just floating, I only hope he didn't suffer too much. Poor baby.

I sanitized my aquarium and everything in it with a solution of bleach and water. I rinsed and now I'm letting everything air dry so I can rinse it again after to make sure that there is absolutly no bleach left. I'm throwing away the gravel just in case. I'm probably going to transfer Winchester my DT in my 3 gallons into the 5 gallons that Admiral was in so I want everything to be extra clean.

to completely clean out the bleach add an extra large dose of water conditioner and wipe the inside of the tank down with it. then fill without rinsing and kust let it soak for a while. then put it in the sun for a it.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote