Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #11 
ripit

Thanks everybody for all the information. As far as hikari use to be good but changed their formula, there seems to be a lot of that going around. I think its the same story with hbh products and there is at least one other but I can not recall right now. While omega one seems good I have heard of lots of problems (bone chunks and shards, food that molds/grows fungus in the container fast and or in the tank if you do not get every little bit out). Omega one gets a government grant for food waste recycling meaning they use a lot of the scraps that might get thrown away. While its not uncommon for fish foods to use such things, it means their advertising may be deceptive and they are vague and or non responsive when questioned about it. I have personally had problems with mold and bones so I won't use it.

That kind of leaves new life spectrum. Unfortunately no one carries it around here (I even contacted the manufacture and the distributor they recommended and no one carries it). Its expensive and with shipping on top, its really expensive. I'm still looking around for someone that carries it that has good prices, reasonable shipping, and or a good selection where I can get other things to spread out the shipping cost. Many places seem to only carry a small selection of their food too.
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #12 
DragonFish

o.o Oh wow, I've NEVER heard of anything like that at all about Omega One, I've always seen it as highly recommended and quite widely used. Do you have any resources on the subject? I'm really interested in looking into this now....

Hmm, I assume you don't have a Petco anywhere around you? As far as I know, thats the only place that carries NLS betta formula(I've heard small fish formula is also pretty good actually, if that might be easier to find....). I had a heck of a time finding NLS online too....
Have you asked your LPS if they could maybe specially order a container of the betta formula for you? Some local stores might be willing to do that...
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyaNyanNaa View Post
6 is way too much from my opinion.

I use NLS and they have small pellets and I feed my boy three pellets at 7 in the morning and 7 at night and use freeze dried bloodworms as treats but I only fed him those once.

If he gets bloodworms as a treat then he only gets one pellet at the night time feeding hour. So you may want to cut down on the pellets.
LOL you just said 6 is way to much and then said you feed 6 XD
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Try Ebay. Sometimes you can find free shipping items, which is what I seem to find a lot of. Remember a thing of pellets lasts a LOT longer than expected

Or, perhaps one of our awesome members can send you some in the mail :) I have had a lovely person do that with Hikari first bites baby fish food for my tadpole (severely small ADULT female betta) rescue and her sister.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #15 
ripit

Petco is a ways away (maybe 35 minutes, more if I want to skip the tolls), and did not have any betta food or flake (I think they only had 3 kinds of pellets). Maybe they were out of stock on some. I may check there again next time I'm down that way if the flake food works out well which it seems to be doing. My local pet store could order the flake but only the smallest, least cost effective size. I guess it is a new supplier or the product is new to that supplier or something so maybe things will change.

On the omega one problems, it seems like it might very with good batches and bad ones with some users having reported getting both at times. It was a little while ago I looked into it but I'll see what info I can dig up. The first problem I personally had was their shrimp pellets. The fish didn't really seem to like them (though in one tank the corries did). I my 55 gal without the corries, I let them sit for a while to see if they fish would eat them. I then tried to remove them but they mostly just broke apart into tiny pieces. I tried a few times and they never seemed to get eaten. One time I neglected to try remove the pellets, and withing part of a day, they had fungus on them (tons of it). I did my best to remove them. Within a couple of days, fungus was showing up all over the tank. I cleaned the gravel and found endless numbers of tiny particles of the food with huge blooms of fungus on them. The tiniest of particles would have a huge amount on it. It would seem the fish never touched it. I cleaned the gravel and filled with water many times and eventually got most of it out. The tank had a huge fungus outbreak and I lost several fish.

The first bottle of flake I got was super color flakes. It had gritty particles like sharp sand in it. The fish would spit a lot of it out a lot more than with normal flake and a lot of it would wind up on the bottom uneaten. When trying to powder it between my fingers for small fish (just bigger than fry), there were sharp pieces. Most were not much bigger than sand but much sharper and checking it out more, there were some bigger pieces. One person on a forum reported a fish getting impaled and killed trying to eat a bone shard in it (he cut to fish open to see what that was sticking out the side of it that killed it).

I'm going to have to dig around to find more about the omega one. Somewhere online there is a document or some such concerning the grant. Here is just a little info I dug up quick

The grant mentioned in post 15 but its just a poster mentioning it
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...let-Food/page2

This thread shows better with a response from omega one admitting they use heads and caucuses and explain it away saying they are high quality and state that lunch meat, hotdogs and sausage use chicken and turkey heads, frames and scraps as the main ingredient so it ok. Fyi that is wrong. These kind of things must legally be listed as by products if used in human food (used to actually be more commonly used but not so much after that law was made).

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?49439

Somewhere you can view some of the documents concerning the grant but I can not find it right now.

I think this is the one about the fish bone impaling the fish but I was wrong about him cutting it open (unless this is a different report than the one I read).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...one-76089.html

This thread just mentions in a post about bones in it being annoying.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...6317-Best-food

I can try and dig up more if you like but I'm just googleing it. Many people are happy with omega one. I think the bones may be a quality control issue that is occasionally found, but if you search, you can find plenty of reports of it.

A few things to remember. Most fish foods probably have fish bones. Its not a problem (in fact a high ash content probably means a lot of bones). Big and or sharp pieces of bone are a problem. Many fish foods use heads and caucuses. Omega one is deceptive about doing it and their ingredient list is deceptive. If I understand right the first several ingredients in their food is technically a single ingredient (a mixture of seafoods). That is how they get away with whole ingredients when most is byproducts (which again, many use but they try to pretend they do not).

I based my not using it on my personal bad experiences (the info like above I found after the fact when trying to figure out what was going on).

A report of mold in the tank (I think it was fungus)
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fr...fish-food.html

A report of a new can molding in the can in a couple of weeks

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55613

Again, if you google there are more reports. I was searching things like omega one bone, omega one grit, omega one food bones, omega one food mold, omega one fungus.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #16 
ripit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Try Ebay. Sometimes you can find free shipping items, which is what I seem to find a lot of. Remember a thing of pellets lasts a LOT longer than expected

Or, perhaps one of our awesome members can send you some in the mail :) I have had a lovely person do that with Hikari first bites baby fish food for my tadpole (severely small ADULT female betta) rescue and her sister.
After a little more use with the flakes, if I like it I'll just order some. With any luck I'll find someone that carries a few variety to spread shipping out and or other things I need. I'll check ebay and I think there are some on amazon. I wouldn't mind getting some of their regular freshwater fish pellets too.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #17 
DragonFish

Oh wow, thank you for all the resources!! I really appreciate you taking the time to go snag those for me, I've been going though them, and I'll definitely go google for more. It seems a lot of the trouble is with he flakes and shrimp pellets though, which I thankfully don't use....xD

Seems like you really know you're foods though. Best of luck finding the NLS!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote