Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Question Betta always eating Cories' food?

So I have Leo in a 10 gallon tank with 3 albino cories. He's peaceful and doesn't really bother them...until it's time to eat. He thinks he is a bottom feeder and steals the cories' food! I am worried not only that the cories are not getting enough to eat but because Leo (in true betta fashion) will not stop eating the food. I have tried flakes, sinking pellets, sinking wafers, feeding him in the dark, distracting him (only works for a minute)... I have heard of putting the betta in a cup while you feed the other fish but Leo is a strange little betta. He stresses out so much that he bloats up (didn't know that bettas did that..?). I also tried putting in a little slice of carrot or something to see if the cories would eat it. Well Leo just chases them away, guards it until they lose interest and then patrols around it... it is frustrating sometimes because it's not like he is not getting enough to eat/a varied enough diet.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get him to leave the cories' food alone? Or should I just risk him bloating and cup him whenever I feed?

(at this moment he is guarding the algae wafer meant for my cories and flaring at them to scare them away..)
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi sunstar93 I think if I were you I would cup him and then feed the cories, Bettas can get bloated very easy eating those algae wafers. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 
sunstar93

Okay I will start doing that then. (sorry if I sound desparate lol... My friend once had a betta that ate himself to death. Never want it to happen to me.) and yeah algae rounds are not exactly a staple on a betta's diet, as much as Leo would like to think they are.
Thanks!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote