Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 
cjz96

55 gallon stocking question

I have a cycled NPT 55 gallon with a wet-dry filter. I was thinking:
7 female bettas
6 platies
9 tetras
3 bronze corydoras.
Will this be okay? I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Thank you!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What kind of Tetras? You will need tins of decorations. I would downgrade 9 to 5 tetras and 3 cories to 5.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 
cjz96

I was thinking either rummynose, cardinal, or neon tetras. The tank is heavily planted.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plates prefer hard water cories don't care beans might handle it and rummy nose need soft water same with cardinals.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
I have a cycled NPT 55 gallon with a wet-dry filter. I was thinking:
7 female bettas
6 platies
9 tetras
3 bronze corydoras.
Will this be okay? I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Thank you!
Nice size tank. 7-10 females would be ok. I prefer Danios 6+ as they get along well in my sorority. Dwarf corys 4+ are great, so entertaining and work like crazy keeping the tank clean. Floating plants like hornwart, java fern, subwassertang, frogbit, duckweed work well for me and are a betta keepers friend imo.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Nice size tank. 7-10 females would be ok. I prefer Danios 6+ as they get along well in my sorority. Dwarf corys 4+ are great, so entertaining and work like crazy keeping the tank clean. Floating plants like hornwart, java fern, subwassertang, frogbit, duckweed work well for me and are a betta keepers friend imo.
Yes, I was considering dwarf corys. Just...if I had DWARF corys, I'd have to get seven. lol. What type of danios do you recommend?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

That's quite the massive tank, and more than enough room for the fish you plan on using. Myself, I would go with the tetras, 9 is a nice number (I would go with a few more personally). More cories though, they prefer larger groups. But that tank can more than handle that bioload if you have a proper filtration (I like to double mine, ex: 55g would get a 100g filter).

And personally, after watching my danios for the last year+, I wouldn't put them with female bettas. They are a top dweller and quite territorial of that space. Seeing as female Bettas need the top to breath and eat, it's putting them right in the Danio's path. Tetras are mid/top dwellers and have no issue staying out of the Bettas way :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 10-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
Yes, I was considering dwarf corys. Just...if I had DWARF corys, I'd have to get seven. lol. What type of danios do you recommend?
There are quite a few versions of Danios. Mine are the Glowlight Danio. Glowlight Danios are small just 3.5cm when fully grown. Very colorful too. The only problem Ive had is that they like to steal the small pellets from the Betta girls sometimes. Peaceful little fish.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Harlequins could work in there too. You could also try some of the smaller rasbora like lambchop/espei or hengel if it is densly planted enough
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #10 
cjz96

Thanks, guys! I guess the platies are a no since I have soft, neutral water. I will look into the harlequins and possibly danios. And yes, I will stock up on more corys. Maybe 7? I have an AMiracle Wet-Dry Filter. Does anybody know of some fish species that aren't very picky with hardness/softness and ph that are peaceful?